Chapala.com Webboard

Gas Water Heater Questions

I have a three year old CINSA water heater. I have drained it every 6 months and it has no sediment in the run off. It lights fully. The hot water is very hot for 1-2 minutes then fades quickly to cool. When the outside temps are at 70+ then I use my solar hot water.

Do I need to consider a replacement? An adjustment?

Fred Habacht

Just had mine done. 10 years old. Regular drainings were not enough at this point. The heat spreader plate was replaced; that helped a little. Finally two workers assigned by the rental agency did a thorough cleaning, without removing it from its location. Took out a half-bucket of rust from the interior, and spent a good amount of time up with the tinaco forcing water through. There was much, much more sediment that my regular drainings showed. Now I have tons of hot water and much better shower pressure.

I know this sounds stupid but I bought a rent house with exactly this problem.  I bought a new hot water tank and as  I was hooking it up I discovered the old tank was hooked up backwards.  When the hot water was used the cold water would come in to replace the hot water and due to the design of the tank the cold water would soon be coming out the hot water outlet.  I reinstalled the old tank properly and didn't have any more complaints.

Archived