Chapala.com Webboard
Omero

Driving our Mexican car into Canada for a visit

As a Canadian citizen I am prohibited from entering Canada with my Mexican plated vehicle. While Mexicans and or Americans would be allowed .

Can my wife, a Filipina holding a Philippine Passport, a Canadian Permanent Resident card, and a Mexican Temporary Resident card be allowed to bring the same Mexican plated car into Canada if that car was in her name? She also holds a Mexican drivers license.

would love to drive this vehicle back and forth instead of flying.

Appreciative of your help.

I think that she, and maybe even you, could do that with Mexican residency and license to show. If you still hold Canadian residency, don't mention it. The Philippine Passport should certainly make it possible.

This type of question is far better answered by hitting a provincial or federal government Website.

On 11/3/2018 at 11:37 AM, Omero said:

As a Canadian citizen I am prohibited from entering Canada with my Mexican plated vehicle. While Mexicans and or Americans would be allowed .

Can my wife, a Filipina holding a Philippine Passport, a Canadian Permanent Resident card, and a Mexican Temporary Resident card be allowed to bring the same Mexican plated car into Canada if that car was in her name? She also holds a Mexican drivers license.

Tricky part is she has Canadian PR.. should be same rules as a Canadian citizen.  I would not risk her having anything impacting her later on f she takes out citizenship.  I used to be in the same boat living in the US. Going home to Toronto I used to park my US car in Niagara Falls, cross by food and take Via rail back to a Toronto. Glad I don’t do that anymore.  Best to check w Canadian customs? 

On 11/3/2018 at 9:37 AM, Omero said:

It is residency not citizenship  that counts when it comes to driving your foreign plated car in Canada. If you are an non-resident of Canada for tax purposes then you are a visitor and may drive your foreign plated car temporarily while in Canada just like any other foreign visitor. If for some reason you have not registered as a non-resident for tax purposes then it becomes an importation and is subject to a bunch of rules both Federal and Provincial. I would suggest you stay away from that. I would expect that your wife with her Permanent residency would be treated in the same way as a citizen (resident). Don't know for sure and unfortunately  don't know who would be able to help her other than the Embassy in Mexico City. They are able to provide all sorts of incorrect tax information for Canadians living in Mexico so I am not sure how they would help in your situation or how much I would trust their advice.

BTW Your Canadian residency or non-residency is determined only by the Canadian Revenue Agency, the Tax Thugs of the Canadian Government. They are the ones who make all the non-residency determinations and rules. They only have one thought. "How much of your income can we keep" or alternatively "We want it all, send us your cheque".

For those Canadians still driving on your Provincial licenses be aware that most Provincial Driving Licenses expire 6 months (or thereabouts) after you are no longer resident in that Province. Probably not a big deal except when you have a major accident with large dollar insurance claims and a smart adjuster decides to investigate and lo and behold you are considered not to have a valid drivers license and are on the hook for big dollars personally plus fines etc. Also fraud (providing false information in order to lease a car and/or obtain insurance). Do yourself a favour and get your Jalisco license.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:59 AM, RVGRINGO said:

I think that she, and maybe even you, could do that with Mexican residency and license to show. If you still hold Canadian residency, don't mention it. The Philippine Passport should certainly make it possible.

Please do not try to second guess Canadian Law. The correct answer is in my post above.

On 11/3/2018 at 10:37 AM, Omero said:

Was there any problem entering the US from Mexico with your car?