Chapala.com Webboard

Car Detailer

You are going to have to clay it yourself. The car wash at Lake Taco is as good as they get but they don't do everything properly. They use an orbital buffer to take the wax OFF the car instead of using it to put the wax ON. Just one example. 

You might try asking at the "Body Shop Ajijic," in West Ajijic, a few doors west of the Waffle House, about 800 feet past Roberto's Restaurant, mountain side of Carr..  If they don't offer the full service you want, they may be able to tell you where.  There number (might still be) 376 766 5246.

Claying might not be a service you'd find lakeside, but it may be available in Guad.  When you find someone who says "yes", ask additional questions, exactly what and how they will do things, to be sure they're doing what you want, or, plan to stay and observe the work.

In the past I have personally used “Body Shop Ajijic” more than once....but under the previous owner... and could not have been more pleased.  Last January I recommended to a friend that he go there to detail a truck that he was selling (to me, as it turned out!). He took it there and was most pleased with their job.   But also I don’t know if they actually do a clay bar process before the detail. That of course helps but is not mandatory to get a good results.

Thank you kindly for all your responses...  I may have found a place in Chapala called Surtiwash. They say they do a complete detail including using 3M clay and Maguire products and will pick the car up and return it... I am going to go by there and check them out They are on the eastern side of Chapla not far from the old railroad station.

Avenida Pepe Guizar #104
Chapala...+52 33 1068 4016

Regarding their pickup and return offer, you might consider carefully if you really want to hand your car and keys to someone you know nothing about, regardless of any ability they might have to sooth you with polite talk.  The cost of a Taxi ride back home, then again to pick up your car when it's ready, could be far less than many other potential events...  You might also consider removing everything from the inside that isn't attached.  Stuff happens, and getting someone else to accept responsibility for and making it right, can be very difficult to impossible.  Be forewarned.

2 hours ago, michael2595 said:

Thank you kindly for all your responses...  I may have found a place in Chapala called Surtiwash. They say they do a complete detail including using 3M clay and Maguire products and will pick the car up and return it... I am going to go by there and check them out They are on the eastern side of Chapla not far from the old railroad station.

Avenida Pepe Guizar #104
Chapala...+52 33 1068 4016

Do let us know how it goes. These guys have been there for a while now, long enough that bad reports would have surfaced. They have invested time and money in that location and I don't abide with the paranoia. The one true thing is that it is illegal for someone else to drive the car, but I have never heard of a valet or carpark person, or personal assistant ever being charged. Because whey would they be stopped in the first place?

My mechanic uses a guy to drop me off and pick me up when the car needs servicing; any one of the shop workers take the car out for test drives; I've got Ontario plates and I'm pretty sure cops and transito are not checking plates and looking for Mexican drivers.

That is not the problem. However, if the unauthorized (by Mexican Laws) driver were to have an accident with your car, you would be held responsible for the injury, death, damage caused by your car, and be held responsible for violating the conditions of your Importada Temporal according to your Immigration Status and State traffic laws, etc.  It would get very complicated and your insurance would probably be invalidated. Jail time would be l o n g..........

That isn't true RV. Mechanics often carry "driver license" insurance. This costs a little more than vehicle insurance. It is usually an optional rider on another vehicles insurance. I have this insurance, I can drive any vehicle in Mexico and my liability insurance is something like 3 million pesos. If anyone threatens to confiscate the vehicle I am driving I would tell them this is not my vehicle but I know the owner will be very angry if you impound it. It helps to have a steady mechanic who is well known in Chapala, in my case, he actually works on many police vehicles. He uses his own vehicle to go into Guadalajara however.

Claying a vehicle is fine work, but it seems to me it is to solve more of an urban problem. The buildup of grime and pollution can become quite noticeable.

If such insurance is carried, that might help the driver, but the owner of the car would still have allowed a Mexican national to drive his foreign plated car in contravention of the law.

Chime in here, Spencer.........

I think that RVGRINGO is correct in saying that any Mexican driving a TIP vehicle is illegal. The rub though comes with probabilities. Life is full of decisions about possibilities and probabilities. My take is that the possibility of something seriously dreadful happening while a mechanic drives my TIP car a few miles is so remote a probility that something else, like a meteor striking me dead, is going to happen to me first. Of course, as usual, YMMV.

Michael2595 if you live in Ajijic area I think the chap west of the Waffle House is your best bet.    You might like to check the relatively new Meguiars prodoct called Ultimate Compound.    I have always use a clay bar but gave this new product a try and have never gone back.

You might specify what you want exactly; like wash, clay or compound, deep polish then a silicone or caranuba finish.   I have just found the devil is in the details so prefer to spell out what I want and then ask how much.

sorry, have no experience in other communities 

Archived