Chapala.com Webboard

Taxi from Guadalajara Airport

lakeside7

420 MP for me GDL to Ajijic on Tuesday so that seems to be holding at where it has been for quite a while.   I suspect, but of course don’t actually know, that the charge is just more to SJC as it is farther. That would make sense to me.... but since when does ‘making sense’ carry any weight in Mexico!?!

Let me help on this one from personal experience.

The rate from the airport to Chapala is $400. That's it.

If you are a Gringo, they will say $420. and pocket the $20.

This has happened to me SIX times since the first of the year. Each time I smile and say "Cuarenta" and put down either $400. or $500. If I put $500. I get $100. back.

33 minutes ago, Eric Blair said:

This has happened to me SIX times since the first of the year. Each time I smile and say "Cuarenta" and put down either $400. or $500. If I put $500. I get $100. back.

First of all, cuarenta is forty.  If you meant to say four hundred, that is cuatrocientos.  And twenty pesos is only one USD.  Most of us aren't going to make a big fuss over that!

23 hours ago, suegarn said:

First of all, cuarenta is forty.  If you meant to say four hundred, that is cuatrocientos.  And twenty pesos is only one USD.  Most of us aren't going to make a big fuss over that!

My error with poor Spanish.

I won't start again on "The principle of the thing."  I found that's a lost cause point.

When I said "Chapala" once late in the evening, the guy quoted me $420 automatically.  I chuckled and replied "No toda la gente con piel blanca vive en Ajijic," and he laughed and corrected the price to $400. 

I've also used Uber which is usually about $235 initially and then afterwards a $32 extended trip charge was added on based on the time of the whole trip back to the airport.  I had kind of a scary bumpy ride from an Uber driver in the dark once as he didn't seem to now where all the "baches" in the road were and swerved quickly through the tight turns entering the barricades where they're replacing the roadway.  The subsequent time late at night I opted for a regular professional taximan who drove the same obstacle course much more sanely and I felt it was worth the $130 extra I paid for it.  These guys know that road well and maybe not all Uber drivers do.  I'd use Uber again in the daylight though, may have just been one hotshot driver.  I've also heard some Uber drivers don't like the Chapala run as they don't think the amount is adequate even with the add on they request.  I had one driver call me after accepting my fare and demand another $250 cash on top of the $235 initial fare, so more than the taxis.  I canceled him, reported his behavior, and received credit for the cancellation fee.  When I rebooked the fare, the guy who took me was literally parked right in front of me at the domestic terminal end.  He was the hotshot.

On 11/4/2018 at 7:01 PM, suegarn said:

Lying is not okay.  Neither is cheating people.  That's how it becomes acceptable to do so.

Zeb, I agree. Tip the guy 20 pesos or 50 or whatever you want, but to automatically name a higher price just because someone is a gringo really burns me. As do the gringos who just accept that kind of treatment, as if it's fine, just because it's "only a dollar" US. Many of these Uber drivers wouldn't even have this driving work at all if there weren't so many gringos around. As can be said about other services as well. Some guy in a supermarket parking lot offered to clean up my headlights, which definitely could have used it,  but when I asked him how much, he said 800 pesos. I just laughed, asked him if he thought all gringos were fools, and walked away.

3 hours ago, Zeb said:

Lying is not okay.  Neither is cheating people.  That's how it becomes acceptable to do so.

Who said anything about lying?  I know many people who have gone to the taxi stand in the airport to pay for a ride to Ajijic.  It's been 420 pesos for at least a year or more.

On 11/4/2018 at 6:26 PM, Eric Blair said:

I think it depends on where you are goinh.  I am always charged 400 to Chapala.

By th way, cuarenta is 40.  Cuatrocientos is 400.

On 11/4/2018 at 7:01 PM, suegarn said:

He's right in that it is 400 to Chapala.  But apparently 20 pesos more to Ajijic.

Archived