Chapala.com Webboard

The lake level

cedros

The lake level has now reached the high of 2010. Another 10 centimeters and it will reach the high of 2008. The rate of rise is decreasing.

4 hours ago, La Aurora said:

It is invading our lower field now,just going under the rock wall.Have a lot of big Carpa now to fish for right in our back yard

Wouldn`t recommend eating, a gov`t study shows contains mercury and is possibly why villages east of Mescala have many people with kidney failures.

Mercury concentrations in common carp (Cyprinus carpio) in Lake Chapala, Mexico: a lakewide survey.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24007438 and https://www.science.gov/topicpages/l/lake+chapala+mexico

From 2013, but the situation in the lake has not changed regarding toxic heavy metals.

On a calm morning today, the water level in the slough that, usually takes rain water down Colon to the lake, is dead even with the pavement. Any rise from here has water flowing into the street.

To respond to the original question, in the first days of October acting delegado Juan Ramon had the sewer caps in front of the old posada raised so there wouldn't be water intrusion or overflow. Hope it is still working.

Exciting times are ahead. Sure would be nice if the lake would become higher than what was recorded on I believe  Thursday, when it reached a Cota of 96.62 which was the record in 2010 and only ten centimeters short of the 2008 record, which was the highest recorded since 1979.

For a more detailed record, left click on THIS LINK.  And then for dates and heights move your mouse arrow over various points. Nothing is shown yet on this chart for this year and wont until around the end of the year. CEA Jalisco has other charts showing the daily rates which are only measured on non holidays and not on weekends for this year.

Here is a collection of fotos taken at various different times 10 years ago as the lake rose, the parque flooded and was under water for months.  When the water finally receded, work began on the new Malecon which took about a year to complete.  I hope the link works, Flickr is changing the M.O.

Well, the  "Con Agua" division of the Jalisco Government just announced that the lake level has reached a Cota of 96.74 meters which topped the high level marks of the lake in both 2008 and 2010. In fact the last time the lake was this high, was in 1979 when it kept on going up until the Cota reached 97.74 meters, which is one meter higher than the lake is right now.

For more in formation go tothis link by left clicking thereon

A man who studied Lake Chapala for many years once told me the last time water  flowed naturally out of the lake via the Rio Santiago was in the '70s. How close is the lake to doing that now?

(Note: he also told me there is a pumping station in the NE part of the lake that pumps water into the Rio Santiago for the farmers downstream from Lake Chapala. He said the volume of pumped water was about equivalent to what Guadalajara pumps out to its aqueduct. I'm not asking about this water, but the natural flow from the lake.)

2 hours ago, El Bizco said:

A man who studied Lake Chapala for many years once told me the last time water  flowed naturally out of the lake via the Rio Santiago was in the '70s. How close is the lake to doing that now?

(Note: he also told me there is a pumping station in the NE part of the lake that pumps water into the Rio Santiago for the farmers downstream from Lake Chapala. He said the volume of pumped water was about equivalent to what Guadalajara pumps out to its aqueduct. I'm not asking about this water, but the natural flow from the lake.)

The lake level needed for water to flow out is about 97 meters. Right now it is about 96.74 meters. So it is getting close. 

Sadly as it always does at this time of the year or earlier, the rate of increase per day is decreasing and soon, as is normal the level of the lake will start going down again until the next rainy season. It may go up another 5 or 10 Cm, if we are lucky, but unless it starts raining again, we are not going to see another 26 cm increase needed to reach the 97 meter Cota level.

Archived