Chapala.com Webboard

Driving from Columbia Crossing to Ajijic

Oregold

9 hours ago, Oregold said:

Is it safe driving from the Columbia border crossing through Chihuahua and on to Guadalajara and Lakeside?  Does anyone have recommendations? 

I’m not familiar with a Columbia border crossing in Chihuahua. There IS a Colombia (notice spelling) but it is nowhere near Chihuahua but rather in Nuevo León... just west of Nuevo Laredo.  

But regardless of which crossing you were referring to, I’ll echo RVGringo’s comment about thousands using the crossings and driving south on any given day. In my opinion it has been years since anyone could single out a particular crossing or inland route that could consistently be denoted as unsafe for a given length of time. Maybe for a day or two (or an hour or two!) something will flare up somewhere but, again IMO, by the time we heard of it and relayed that news to anyone asking it would be ‘old news’, not worthy of repeating with regards to ‘driving recommendations’. Again, YMMV. 

Friends went through the Colombia Solidarity crossing in NL on Tuesday and had no troubles at all making the trip Lakeside in one day. They also found no shortage of gasoline, which some people had posted asan issue earlier in the week.

There is now a western bypass of SLP that you take just south of Matehuala and ends at the north bypass of Lagos (be very careful of the railroad crossing). So much better than the Zacatecas-Aquascalientes route.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:53 AM, Oregold said:

Is it safe driving from the Columbia border crossing through Chihuahua and on to Guadalajara and Lakeside?  Does anyone have recommendations? 

If you are interested in driving from Columbia Bridge near Laredo directly to Ajijic, Chapala I can provide you with a turn by turn direction log. This was updated as of September 2018. Just PM Me with your request and email address.

Archived