Chapala.com Webboard

Car ac warning!

There's an alleged "Car AC" repair place very near the coffee guy on the carretera in Ajijic.......BEWARE!!!!! They did something to my car ac which worked pretty well....for three weeks. When I took the car to my really good mechanic here at home, he said they had cleaned it up, added freon, and NOTHING MORE. They charged me 3000p for this "service". I wish I were still in Ajijic so I could deal with them directly, but I got home to the playa just in time to deal with the hurricane. Not my week. Save yours by boycotting this gang of shysters.

Just FYI. If your AC is blowing warm air and you think you need a recharge, these days it's very easy to do it yourself. At Autozone you can get a can for 500 pesos, and recharge your own system. I did it a year ago and I have nice cool air through my AC.  The can (I can't remember the name) comes and there is a youtube video explaining exactly how the recharge process works.  I also recharged my other car. Worked great.  This of course is only if your AC system is functioning ok, compressor, etc.  We are just talking about a recharge.

11 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

There's an alleged the coffee guy on the carretera in Ajijic.......BEWARE!!!!! They did something to my car ac which worked pretty well....for three weeks. When I took the car t"Car AC" repair place very near o my really good mechanic here at home, he said they had cleaned it up, added freon, and NOTHING MORE. They charged me 3000p for this "service". I wish I were still in Ajijic so I could deal with them directly, but I got home to the playa just in time to deal with the hurricane. Not my week. Save yours by boycotting this gang of shysters.

I don't know where this is: "the coffee guy on the carretera in Ajijic". Could you be more specific?

I am a fan of these guys and have recommended them to many. Three month warranty, ride home and pick up when my vehicle was finished. Showed me old parts and new replacements, very reasonable prices and finished ahead of time promised. A real asset to our community to finally have a competetent a/c place open five days a week. No English, but they are skilled with Google Translate on their smart phone, so all went well.

40 minutes ago, camillenparadise said:

It's in the block east of Gossip's. Al, glad you got decent service. I just got screwed.

By Actinver?

1 hour ago, camillenparadise said:

It's in the block east of Gossip's. Al, glad you got decent service. I just got screwed.

Seems your problem was you failed to take it back within the 3 month warranty. Not their fault if you did not give them a chance to fix it again. :(

Let me guess:  She was obviously from out of town & probably wanted AC for the trip home. They recognized the problem as a compressor that was leaking, but slowly, and recharged the system. She made it home with AC.

When the system failed, she took it to her mechanic, who confirmed the failing compressor.

End of story?

10 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

Thanks, but my good and honest mechanic here says the compressor is blown. He is a big burly guy who would love to meet those Ajijic robbers.

"For every problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -H. L. Mencken

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Robert J. Hanlon

Just now, RVGRINGO said:

Let me guess:  She was obviously from out of town & probably wanted AC for the trip home. They recognized the problem as a compressor that was leaking, but slowly, and recharged the system. She made it home with AC.

When the system failed, she took it to her mechanic, who confirmed the failing compressor.

End of story?

I don't think so. You assume two major points there. One, that she told them she "just wanted to get it home". Two, that they were uninterested in a proper repair job even though they knew the facts. Why wouldn't they have told her about it? By the way, freon doesn't cost nearly what she was charged for this "clean up". So maybe they charged her for repairing a compressor.

4 hours ago, Al Berca said:

I am a fan of these guys and have recommended them to many. Three month warranty, ride home and pick up when my vehicle was finished. Showed me old parts and new replacements, very reasonable prices and finished ahead of time promised. A real asset to our community to finally have a competetent a/c place open five days a week. No English, but they are skilled with Google Translate on their smart phone, so all went well.

Can't let this go unanswered.  What he said above......

These guys fixed two a/c problems for me that no other mechanics could and the price was fair.

They get the highest recommendation from me.

Compressors are seldom repaired; usually replaced with a new or re-built unit at a cost of about $6000-$10,000 pesos. A charge of only $3000 might not indicate that a new compressor was installed. Another guess......

I did say, "guessing" and "probably" in my post.  Only she knows what she said & accepted.  The place does have a good reputation.

Well, I just don't know that much about compressors, so I will take your word for it. But that is exactly the kind of thing that a qualified and reliable AC repair person would point out at the top. So "guessing" $3,000 is a bit much for replacing the freon is not really a guess, IMO.

I don't see the word "probably", but let's face it: you were being cheeky.

Is it just me or does it seem rather unfair to call a business "A gang of shysters" when they have had no opportunity to address the situation themselves?

If you change a compressor in a system you need to evacuate all the refrigerant, remove whatever parts you need to so as to get to the compressor, remove pressure lines, reinstall compressor, reinstall the lines and all other equipment, then put a vacuum on the system, recharge the system and make sure the pressures are good and that it works.

I think before we sit at our keyboards publicly saying bad things about companies or people we should have all the facts.

I do not believe I have enough facts to judge and certainly not enough facts to say things that could cost these people business.

I often hear or read people slagging some business, saying they were ripped off, or lied to, or whatever. When I ask them if they went back to let the business know, and gave them an opportunity to address the problem, the answer is almost always no. Instead, they just go around spreading the word that the business is a rip-off, or incompetent. We all make mistakes. I think it really unfair to try to destroy someone's business, if you haven't afforded them a chance to make it right. If you go back, and they respond with a bad attitude, or refuse to answer your phone calls, etc, then sure, warn people.

And of course you are correct. And the only reason I keep coming back is I know Camille, and she's no putz. And she didn't slag anybody and not give them a chance: she had a bad job done and she's nowhere near here to do anything about it. I'm all for warnings, especially automotive.

Archived