Chapala.com Webboard

HSBC/CIbanco ATM's FYI

I just came from trying to use the HSBC ATM - for the first time for me personally it offered a dollar amount for my withdrawal, prompting me to either accept or decline.  I recognized that it was not favorable to me and declined.  I was then told my transaction could not be processed.  The rate offered was somewhere in the 18.80 range.  I went around the corner to CIBanco, to find a notice saying that the bank's cards are limited to 5000 pesos a day and other bank cards to 10,000 pesos a day, not per transaction, but per day.  Maybe they are tired of loading money in the machine???  My exchange rate there was 19.32.

Interesting. I use those HSBC ATMs weekly. For months now they have asked whether or not I accept a certain rate. I soon learned to decline that rate as it would cost me 10 to 30 dollars more if I did. When I decline that suggested rate I always get money and at a better rate.  It is a ploy that other banks are taking up. If you accept the suggested rate (which is worse) you cannot contest it as you accepted it.

For me there is another screen that comes up before this that asks if I accept a 33 pesos charge for using the ATM. If I decline this I don't get any money.

That is what I expected to happen, Cedros, and I was somewhat amazed when the transaction ended with me declining the offered exchange rate.  Jrod, they were not offering me pesos or dollars but asking me to agree to an unfavorable exchange rate for the pesos I was about to take out.

I just recently used both the machines in HSBC, one after the other. As you face the machines, the right hand one asked if I accepted their conversion rate. I cancelled the transaction and moved to the machine on my left and asked for local currency. It didn't ask me the same question.

Now, that may have changed since last week. But I thought it odd at the time. So, which ATM were you using... the right one or the left one?

1 hour ago, bournemouth said:

That is what I expected to happen, Cedros, and I was somewhat amazed when the transaction ended with me declining the offered exchange rate.  Jrod, they were not offering me pesos or dollars but asking me to agree to an unfavorable exchange rate for the pesos I was about to take out.

Although over the years, posters have pointed out here that there's a screen asking to accept an exchange rate, I've never seen it and have used cards from multiple banking institutions to get cash from both HSBC ATMs. Must be the financial institution one is drawing funds from, then, that prompts this screen?

9 minutes ago, jrod said:

Although over the years, posters have pointed out here that there's a screen asking to accept an exchange rate, I've never seen it and have used cards from multiple banking institutions to get cash from both HSBC ATMs. Must be the financial institution one is drawing funds from, then, that prompts this screen?

That is what I would guess also.

12 hours ago, jrod said:

I've been using the same card for the last two years at least at HSBC and this is the first time this note appeared.  It's interesting when one considers that the website showing the dollar for the day in Mexico was showing HSBC as giving 19.70 at the time my non-transaction  occurred.  I was using the right hand machine as that one is the easiest to read.  Next time, if there is a next time,  I'll use the left hand one.

17 hours ago, bournemouth said:

I used a stand alone HSBC ATM in Zapopan earlier today. When I declined their conversion rate I didn't get any money. But when I use the ATM at HSBC in San Antonio and I decline their rate I get money. Weird.

I just used the "right" ATM at HSBC. A couple of people before me said it was not working at all, some said OK. I tried an got $7000 pesos after declining their 'offered' rate of 18.75. I'll post the rate I got after I figure it out. The keys were "sticky" so possibly the reason for other's problems.

BTW CiBanco had "no money' according to the Guard. 'Maybe 1 hour.  @10:30

CI Banco gets their money drop around 1 pm.  It takes at least 1/2 hour for the bank people to actually get the money in the machine.  So many people are using the
Ci Banco machine that many times before they close it will be empty or surely empty by 10 AM the next morning.  That's why they have requested that people only take out 10,000 pesos at a time so others will be able to get money.  What they really need to do is put in another machine, but I doubt they will because they don't make enough from their piddly service fee.  CI is not a service-oriented bank.

I’m a US citizen with a US bank VISA debit card and, as I Posted above, I had no problems with the ‘right’ machine.... although others before me did. In fact no one wanted to use it so I broke line and tried it. As I stated I declined their ‘offer rate’ of 18.75 and got 7000 MP. Now home, I see that the rate I got was 19.22.  My ‘fees’ will be reimbursed at the end of the month (tonight actually!) from this ‘home’ bank.

BTW YO1, this bank comes as close to any I’ve had being service oriented. Family owned. Gives a sh*t most of the time.

Well I was there 2 hours to open an account.. the confirmation code just came though 5 hours later..so much for givng a shit , we will not open an account tthere. 

Today the machine on the rights had many problems. The machine on the left ate a lady´s card but eventually spit it out.. 

On 10/30/2018 at 6:57 PM, cedros said:

Interesting. I use those HSBC ATMs weekly. For months now they have asked whether or not I accept a certain rate. I soon learned to decline that rate as it would cost me 10 to 30 dollars more if I did. When I decline that suggested rate I always get money and at a better rate.  It is a ploy that other banks are taking up. If you accept the suggested rate (which is worse) you cannot contest it as you accepted it.

For me there is another screen that comes up before this that asks if I accept a 33 pesos charge for using the ATM. If I decline this I don't get any money.

The ATM fee ive been charged at the HSBC machines recently is around 60 pesos.  Are different ATM fees charged depending on the bank that issued your ATM cards?  Mine is Schwab.

I have never had any ATM show me the exchange rate and ask if I accepted it.  Isn't it the bank that issued the card that determines the exchange rate?  Could that be the reason that some people see the exchange rate they are receiving and others don't.  I do most of my ATM withdrawals at HSBC using both machines but have never been told the exchange rate.  Perhaps that is a very recent feature?

I suspect there are many irregularities between various banks. Wouldn't it be nice if the various polices were spelled out to all? But that is competition. I've been asked whether or not I accept a specific rate for months now at those ATMs-not very recent. I always have to decline the suggested rate at the HSBC ATMs in San Antonio or they will give me a worse rate. I always check online when I get home to see what rate I got. We have to keep an eye on them. For years I was never charged for withdrawing money there. The 33 pesos charge for me only started a few months ago. I complained to the manager there and to my Canadian bank and nothing could be done as they said it was a decision made by HSBC in Mexico City. Thinking back 5+ years ago I often used 2 Canadian HSBC debit cards there. One was a regular account the other a "Premium" account. At that time the latter was never charged for using those ATMs but the former was. 

I am in the process of having my account at that HSBC changed from regular to "Premier". Maybe then the 33 pesos charge will disappear. I have a Canadian HSBC account that is "Premier".

It would be interesting to draw up a list as to what type of cardholders are asked if they accept the offered rate and how much various ones are charged for using those ATMS.

I have noticed that in the last 10 days or so people are having more problems there with the ATMS.

8 hours ago, RickS said:

I’m a US citizen with a US bank VISA debit card and, as I Posted above, I had no problems with the ‘right’ machine.... although others before me did. In fact no one wanted to use it so I broke line and tried it. As I stated I declined their ‘offer rate’ of 18.75 and got 7000 MP. Now home, I see that the rate I got was 19.22.  My ‘fees’ will be reimbursed at the end of the month (tonight actually!) from this ‘home’ bank.

BTW YO1, this bank comes as close to any I’ve had being service oriented. Family owned. Gives a sh*t most of the time.

If you are talking about HSBC being family owned, you are incorrect.  HSBC is named after its founding member, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited, which was established in 1865 to finance the growing trade between Europe, India and China.

Yesterday I tried two ATMs in Zapopan with my HSBC Canadian debit card-they could not connect with my Canadian account. Scary. Today I tried the right hand ATM at HSBC in San Antonio. No problem getting money. Weird. The odd thing is today it asked me if I wanted a conversion rate in US DOLLARS. Until now it has always asked me a rate in Canadian dollars. Their system seems odd. 

20 hours ago, Yo1 said:

If you are talking about HSBC being family owned, you are incorrect.  HSBC is named after its founding member, The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited, which was established in 1865 to finance the growing trade between Europe, India and China.

Nope, as cedros deduced my ‘home bank’ was/is just that.... a bank at my home in Colorado. I probably could have made that a bit more clear. 

Archived