Chapala.com Webboard

Halibut at La Pacena

tomgates

I got the best fish and chips here that I have found in Ajijic.  I must admit the chips were only so so but the fish was good and they even had malt vinegar to put on it.  I have tried the fish and chips in at least a dozen restaurants in Ajijic and have just about given up on ordering them.  I do not know why some restaurants even have them on the menu.  Having spent 3 years in London and 3 years in Australia I guess I am biased on what they should taste like.

Remember my glowing review for La Nueva Posada's English style fish 'n chips?  I just deleted it. We went there for lunch today and had a very bad experience, to wit:  New help, hopelessly untrained, didn't "know anything about" the ad in the Guad Reporter offering free Margaritas or salad or soup with light or main course meals. It wasn't worth the trouble to take the matter further, so we didn't.

I ordered fish 'n chips.  It came with NO malt vinegar.  The waiter had brought salad vinegar.  When asked for the malt vinegar, he returned and said they didn't have any. There was enough tartar sauce in a minute container for no more than one piece of fish.  I sent the plate back and asked for some enchiladas instead.  After three quarters of an hour, no food arrived.  Another waiter brought the check, which didn't include my order, so we paid it and left.  Enough.  Won't be back.  Sorry to have to report this, but I don't want to have anyone going there based on my yesterday's complimentary review.😥

That's a shame. As you've pointed out, not a whole lot of fish'n'chip places here.

Everything started going downhill for the Posada restaurant after the chef left. Including staff management. A double shame, since they came up with this new ad to drum up some business here in the dieing days of the off-season. I went for Canadian Thanksgiving and there were no signs indicating any such event existed... a confused waiter came back to tell us "only after five". Which was fine into and of itself, but for the staff not to know that turkeys were being prepared for service a couple of hours later? Ahem.  My last two meals there have been greasy and boring. Even the old standby, avocado/fake crab salad, is no good now.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

That's a shame. As you've pointed out, not a whole lot of fish'n'chip places here.

Everything started going downhill for the Posada restaurant after the chef left. Including staff management. A double shame, since they came up with this new ad to drum up some business here in the dieing days of the off-season. I went for Canadian Thanksgiving and there were no signs indicating any such event existed... a confused waiter came back to tell us "only after five". Which was fine into and of itself, but for the staff not to know that turkeys were being prepared for service a couple of hours later? Ahem.  My last two meals there have been greasy and boring. Even the old standby, avocado/fake crab salad, is no good now.

I wish the owners would make a turnaround before it's too late.  The ambiance of that garden dining with a lake view is one of the best in town.  The indoor restaurant is nicely decorated and it, too, enjoys the view of the garden and the lake.  Darn shame indeed.

I can't stop eating the "Palamitas" and "Japanese Taco" at La Paceña. (Not sure about those names.... on the Spanish menu I think the first item is called "Curracanes". They are like candy, so delicious. Both of those dishes involve raw tuna so if that's a non-starter, skip the the reco.)

The "Gringa" thing on their menu is tasty too. And yes, the seared Tuna also. They know what they're doing with flavorful fish.

Archived