Chapala.com Webboard

Another Traffic Police Update

HarryB

Hector España Ramos, Expat community liaison, spoke with the Transito Comandante. By now I hope everyone knows the transit police are state employees. The Commandante confronted "El Gordo" with the allegations of the shakedowns and "El Gordo" replied, "Where are the complaints against me". Therefore, Hector is asking for letters relating the events and peso amounts of the shakedowns. He already has four.

Just use your first name and last initial only with zip code. No address or phone number. Hector and the Commandante will be the only ones seeing these complaints. They can be dropped off at the Chapala municipal building, Ajijic Delegado's office or Manix restaurant. he would like these ASAP so he can go back to the Comandante.

Absolutely!  He's tried to shake down and has threatened my husband several times.  I've asked him to write down the details and we will deliver the information, as instructed.

Many thanks to Hector and the Commandante for looking into this.

Valerie  :)

His last name is Camarena. He is a regional SeMov employee, not a Chapala transito. He drives around in a white SeMov truck that says Policia Vial.

There is only one "el Gordo", aka pencil-thin moustache cop. This whole thing worries me, though. This guy is a member of a tight group of pals. Vengeance can come from anywhere.

What have the consequences been? I've been denouncing problems here for years and my doctor says I'm relative healthy. The boogie man is a convenient alternative to saying I'm too lazy to do anything even for my self. I get really tired of those who want others to carry the load for them.

If you write a letter explaining your complaint and sign it for example as "Susan R.", how on earth is anyone going to know who that is and plan retribution against them?  This is hardly something to be fearful about. When people want a change they have to help make that change. This is an opportunity to possibly have something actually done for a change but if no one will tell their story, and there are many stories out there if they can just be found, then nothing will happen so everyone should stop complaining when they get pulled over for a bribe the next time. I see Facebook posts complaining about mordida regularly, yet apparently there are only 4 people who have stepped up so far.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Unfortunately, with very good reason. Let's not minimize the possible consequences of aiming a hit at anyone in authority around here by making it sound unfounded. Just be aware.

This attitude is exactly why Mexico will never be a Free Country ! 

I agree, the way it is set up, it seems very safe. I will not retract my general statement about being careful around here. You wanna stick your nose out and expect it to never get whacked? Go ahead.

Let me change my approach: as a friend said, better the devil you know.

Hud. What?

Archived