Chapala.com Webboard

Natural stone floors

ea93105

I don't know what's available, but we once rented an almost brand new home in San Miguel de Allende and it had beautiful cantera floors.  But the kitchen floor near the stove was splattered with cooking oil stains.  The owner said she had tried to remove stains with little success and regretted having cantera in the kitchen (but still loved it elsewhere in house).  

Hi. I love natural stone floors and have experience in laying stone floors in shower/bath. All you need is a good albañil (stone mason). I really like the rustic look and feel on the feet. On account of a recent leak in the area outside of stone, resulted in a sizeable hole the area of vanity and claw tub was natural barro tile. Instead of trying to match the type of tile, I plan on tearing up the tilework and laying the entire bathroom with natural stone, as you describe. This is not conventional but a preference. as it is easy to care for, and the fact that natural barro does not like humidity and does take some maintenance. If you meant the pebble type, I can send you photos.

Sounds like what you are after is generally termed "piedra de laja"   (flat stone)

From there, much depends on just how smooth you want it, color, etc.    

Some is available at lakeside, you can check with the larger local suppliers or talk to masons.

Here's a link to a Guad commercial supplier:

http://www.canterasbertha.com/categoria-producto/laja/

Archived