Chapala.com Webboard
Sign in to follow this  
RCman

Telcel phone plan

Telcel keeps saying I can use my cell phone in the US and Canada. What I want to know is if I use my telcel package does the person in Canada who is calling me while I’m there get charged long distance charges as they are calling a Mexican number.

The person calling you would be calling you at your Mexican number  from his local phone which would be long distance if that person were in the US or Canada. That same rule would apply even if you and that person were both in the US or Canada, across the street from each other.

It would also depend on the caller's cell plan.  We have a TelCel plan and a T-Mobile plan because we want to have both US and MX  numbers.  Our T-Mobile plan also allows unlimited calls to US, Canada and Mexico.  

I have the Telcel Amigo plan and I buy the internet packets (for cellular data) when I go to Canada or the US. I have a free VOIP US phone number from Callcentric that I use with an Iphone app to call US numbers; I think the per call cost is about 2 cents per minute; but my friends can call me on a US number. Also you can call to Canadian numbers for free on Fongo; there is a small cost to purchase the app and a dedicated Canadian phone number for your friends to call. Both Fongo and Callcentric can be used on WIFI or cellular data from Telcel. I have been using both without complaint for about 3-4 years. Text messaging gets a little more complex.