Chapala.com Webboard

Advertising collar around vehicle license plates

cedros

Yesterday a Mexican friend told me I had to remove the advertising collar around my license plates or the police will use it as an excuse to try and get a mordida. I'm referring to the advertising collar that dealers put around your license plate when you buy a new car. The collar does hide the word Jalisco. Can this be true?

I would not put it past the transitos, who come up with amazing reasons to hassle people for mordida. But I would be safe in telling them to give me a ticket, 'cause it won't happen. And I would also get a certain satisfaction from that. That being said, there is every reason to believe a well-versed transito will conjure some other reason right on the spot...

There has been a lot of discussion regarding this on some of the local Facebook pages.  The answer is yes, your friend is correct.  Those pulling you over and requesting money will tell you that the vanity frame obscures the license plate, which is illegal.  Spencer has posted recently, what and what is not considered ticket-able driving offenses (can't remember where I saw it) but this was definitely on the "don't do" list.  Perhaps he will chime in here.

13 minutes ago, .Colibri. said:

There has been a lot of discussion regarding this on some of the local Facebook pages.  The answer is yes, your friend is correct.  Those pulling you over and requesting money will tell you that the vanity frame obscures the license plate, which is illegal.  Spencer has posted recently, what and what is not considered ticket-able driving offenses (can't remember where I saw it) but this was definitely on the "don't do" list.  Perhaps he will chime in here.

Thanks. I didn't see that on his don't do list.

Yep, there it is. To wit: "totally or partially hidden by any means, including any type of attachments of any material, films or labels or stickers that fully or partially obstruct or distort their full view". The word "full" is key here. Because the concept (obviously), rationally, would apply to actually having plate details hidden, not the edges of a plate, where it doesn't matter. However, this being Mexico, who knows how far this could be pushed.

I wonder what dealers who put frames on the plates have to say about this. I'll bet Spencer from S&S Auto would know.

19 minutes ago, .Colibri. said:

I found it!  Article 169, page 11.

Thanks. How do you find Article 169, page 11.

24 minutes ago, .Colibri. said:

I found it!  Article 169, page 11.

Yes, I see it on this forum. I thought you meant it was on Facebook.

Archived