Chapala.com Webboard

Mandarina plague

ComputerGuy

I noticed my mandarina tree looking sad, losing leaves, and the fruit getting sick while young (see photo). I discovered an infestation of spiders and webs, so used a popular fruit-tree spray about two weeks ago and seem to have killed them off. I dug in a recommended portion of healthy fertilizer, plucked all the dead and dieing fruit, but am still getting this sad reaction. Some of the fruit I pulled off has little bugs in it, but I think they are after-the-fact.

Even the place I bought the tree from (six years old when I got it this spring) has no real knowledge of these things.

mandarina.JPEG

Fortunately my mandarina shows no signs of that particular problem. "Pull out your tree and start over"? Wow.

I would be interested in someone actually knowledgeable, or a contact, but just guessing is not very helpful.

Greening is worldwide and so far unstoppable. My Texas Ruby Reds, smuggled in as cuttings and nurtured til they bore bushel after bushel, were the first to go. I still get a few Ponderosa Lemons and the foliage looks good. I see some resistance on the part of the local limon, but millions of hectares of citrus have been pulled up and burned.

The wasp that carries this plague is the size of a grain of pollen.

This might be a long shot, but our Persian Lime tree has developed plaque. Our experienced gardener made a "paint" with lime (cal) and a handful of salt, then painted the base of our citrus and Ficus trees. As far as I have been able to discover, the plaque platelets are a type of aphid insect, which have been planted and cultivated by ants. You have to stop the ants to stop the plaque, then remove any leaves containing the plaque "scabs" and get well rid of them. You can remove to plaque with rubbing alcohol and mineral oil, but that is a lot of work for a whole tree. The google word is citrus scale.

6 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Fortunately my mandarina shows no signs of that particular problem. "Pull out your tree and start over"? Wow.

I would be interested in someone actually knowledgeable, or a contact, but just guessing is not very helpful.

I have actual knowledge and have lost two mandarins.  So you ask for help and when you get it you insult the person.  Try Señor Google next time before you bother the rest of us with your problems.

Well, gosh, Yo1. I'm so sorry. Maybe it's because 90% of the posts you've made since you created your name for this board, especially to me, are both patronizing and callous. I don't see why you would not expect the same in return.

But I'm so glad you picked up on the fact that I've never used Google before. That's a real win for me.

On the other hand, you Googled and picked a completely incorrect answer, because THAT'S NOT IT. So when I say "don't guess", I guess I mean... "don't guess".

CG, I had similar plants in Tokyo a long time ago, and the plants got diseases called anthracnose which is curable. Just go and find some pesticide. Yo no creo o no guess,  pienso que  it will work  so relax, ja ja ja. 

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Well, gosh, Yo1. I'm so sorry. Maybe it's because 90% of the posts you've made since you created your name for this board, especially to me, are both patronizing and callous. I don't see why you would not expect the same in return.

But I'm so glad you picked up on the fact that I've never used Google before. That's a real win for me.

On the other hand, you Googled and picked a completely incorrect answer, because THAT'S NOT IT. So when I say "don't guess", I guess I mean... "don't guess".

I had a mandarin at two places of residence 8 years apart.  I had Chapala Tree service come out to look at both of them and was told it was citrus greening and to pull them out and start over.  There is no cure.  Citrus greening is the bane of commercial trees all over the world.  Some of my fruit looked just like your picture.  If you think "pull out you tree" is callous, too bad.  That's what I was told because the disease will infect other trees because the insect that carries it will carry it to other trees.  I would be guessing if I hadn't talked to an expert.

The citrus greening 'plaga' is very real, and is a worldwide problem. Before moving from Chapala in late 2014, we had already lost our limon agria (key lime) trees and our lima and mandarina were suffering and on the way out.

Here, in Tucson, we have planted a yellow lemon tree and it is growing, but fruit is infrequent and I suspect that it may not last.

We are moving soon to the Rio Grande Valley, where citrus is a major industry, and will be curious to learn what is happening there.

• 4 weeks later...

I have successfully beaten back whatever was killing my mandarina. Two liberal sprays of a locally-sourced infestation killer, judicious leaf pruning, and lots of water, has seen my tree in the last month return to producing more new fruit, larger fruit, and almost no rot.

So one of two conclusions can be reached: as I pointed out more than once, this was not greening, or: I am the only person in the world successful at stopping that particular plague, and I will now be going into business rebottling and selling the spray at extremely high prices.

On 10/25/2018 at 6:03 PM, ComputerGuy said:

17 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I have successfully beaten back whatever was killing my mandarina. Two liberal sprays of a locally-sourced infestation killer, judicious leaf pruning, and lots of water, has seen my tree in the last month return to producing more new fruit, larger fruit, and almost no rot.

So one of two conclusions can be reached: as I pointed out more than once, this was not greening, or: I am the only person in the world successful at stopping that particular plague, and I will now be going into business rebottling and selling the spray at extremely high prices.

You don't have to sound so condescending, CG.  Others are relating their experiences to you.  You asked for advice, so please be gracious in either accepting or rejecting it.

This wasn't advice. This was holier-than-thou know-it-allness from one person in particular. I was right, she was wrong, and I'm telling everyone now in case they face an issue in future.

My response about "knowing how to cure the greening plague" was strictly tongue-in-cheek, and only those who prefer to feel slighted by this Webboard would take it any other way.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

This wasn't advice. This was holier-than-thou know-it-allness from one person in particular. I was right, she was wrong, and I'm telling everyone now in case they face an issue in future.

My response about "knowing how to cure the greening plague" was strictly tongue-in-cheek, and only those who prefer to feel slighted by this Webboard would take it any other way.

On 10/25/2018 at 8:51 AM, Yo1 said:

There is a citrus disease called citrus greening and once your tree has it there is no cure.  Pull out your tree and start over.  Check google.

Yo1's original response certainly didn't sound like 'holier-than-thou know-it-allness'.  Even cedros and RVGringo said they had the same problem and determined that it was citrus greening, so it wasn't just one person in particular.  Its seems as though no one was 'right' or 'wrong'.  Can't you just graciously say "Thank you, but that's not the problem I'm having"?

RV and Cedros generally show respect. I can have discussions with them when we don't agree. Yo1 is an attacker when it comes to me, and having been witness to several personal affronts, I have no more patience with her; none whatsover. I know what she means. You need to know the history before you can really say anything. No one else took a shot at me, and I took no shot at them.

And that's enough of that.

Meantime, anyone wanting to know what the stuff is, if you would like to PM me, I'm happy to share.

Archived