Chapala.com Webboard

Paint

Best method I have found is to use a high quality primer over the bare metal first before applying a good quality top coat.  Make sure the bare metal is free of any oil/grease or other contaminants.  Lightly sand or wire brush the paint off first.  Home Depot sells the Rustoleum brand metal etching primer in spray cans here - but it isn't cheap!  No disrespect intended but the local workers don't understand the use of primers and what they are for.

You can buy a good esmalte-oil based paint and it will work well with the primers mentioned. Go COMEX or SAYER. Get the expensive stuff. I once tried Wamart and it was worse than a bad joke.

What they often do here, if they use primer at all, is use the grey primer, which is cheaper. But the grey primer doesn't work well on iron- it is for aluminum and galvinized. Make sure to use the bright orange primer (they call it minio), then 2 coats of oil base metal paint. Of course make sure the surface has been cleaned well first- wire brush all the rust off (and a putty knife works well to lift off loose chunks of paint) and then wipe it all down well with thinner. The other thing that is done here is that they add way too much thinner to the primer and the paint. It ends up being like thinner with some paint in it, rather than paint with a little thinner.

I got so tired of paying painters to do my outside metal staircase and then having it start to rust again within a few months, that I rolled up my sleeves and did it myself the last time. It was a huge job, and I can't say I enjoyed even one minute of it, but it's been a year and a half and still looking fine. 

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:40 PM, virgogirl said:

You can buy a good esmalte-oil based paint and it will work well with the primers mentioned. Go COMEX or SAYER. Get the expensive stuff. I once tried Wamart and it was worse than a bad joke.

Where is Sayer?

I have been following this as the owners of this house want a fair bit of the metal work repainted. They want
Rustoleum used. I wonder. I went to Prisa, Comex and Berel today and asked how to paint metal.

They all said clean it well with a wire brush or sandpaper.

Prisa said;

-to then clean it with thinner.

-then use their Protox (Quita oxido)*

-then primer

-then paint it with flat, satin, or gloss

Comex said

-clean it with a wire brush,

-use their Desoxidante*

-then primer

-paint it 

Berel said

-clean it

* no special product

-use their primer Noxio

--paint it with esmalte paint

*is this product like Rusroleum? there are a liquid that you aping on rather than Rustoleum with you spray.

I'm not sure what to do. I will go to Home Depot and ask them.

If you are having a rust "problem" the first thing is remove the rust. It attracts moisture if you paint over it. This can seem to be an impossible task, taking many hours of grinding time. The other way is to use a rust converter, which converts rust to a hard, plastic shell. I like Conquest brand, and they now have a dry powder which will probably ship to Mexico. http://www.conquerrust.com/

Then you need a good primer and paint. The epoxy based primers are the best, providing a 100% vapor barrier, the trouble is that they can turn yellow/orange under intense sun. So it is best to use a Urethane based topcoat (with UV inhibitors). Anyways, this is from many years experience treating metals in a marine environment. There is a large marine store in Guadalajara that is likely to stock all these items, but I don't know the details. The metal should easily have a 5 to 10 year life in our mild, non marine climate here.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, Ezzie said:

Best method I have found is to use a high quality primer over the bare metal first before applying a good quality top coat.  Make sure the bare metal is free of any oil/grease or other contaminants.  Lightly sand or wire brush the paint off first.  Home Depot sells the Rustoleum brand metal etching primer in spray cans here - but it isn't cheap!  No disrespect intended but the local workers don't understand the use of primers and what they are for.

I went to Home Depot in Zapopan today but they didn't have any Rustoleum brand metal etching primer but they did have Rustoleum paint. They suggested using CLR instead. But maybe Desoxidante as Prisa suggested would be better.

I was in the Home Depot in Tlaquepaque yesterday and they have stock of the Rustoleum etching primer (in spray cans) on the shelf.  Failing that, bare metal surface preparation can also be done by first applying a diluted solution of phosphoric acid and then putting on a good epoxy primer over that before applying the top coats.

3 minutes ago, Ezzie said:

I was in the Home Depot in Tlaquepaque yesterday and they have stock of the Rustoleum etching primer (in spray cans) on the shelf.  Failing that, bare metal surface preparation can also be done by first applying a diluted solution of phosphoric acid and then putting on a good epoxy primer over that before applying the top coats.

Thanks. The Home Depot guys in Zapopan didn't have that Rustoleum primer. They said to use CLR instead. I wonder. 

Archived