Chapala.com Webboard

Insect Problem

Zeb

I am sure we are not the only ones with this problem.  There are thousands of small grey flying insects outside and some do get inside our house.  They are attracted to the light bulbs then we have dead insects everywhere.

Does anyone know about these and what can be done to deter them (without harming our pets)?

They are seasonal, although it's more than once a year, and I'm not sure what spurs them on. Sometimes you see a fog of so many of them on the sides of the highway that you think you are looking at sand churned up by traffic. Bo-bo's, for want of a better term. They like heat and will collect above your car roof, too. They provide only a single problem: keeping them out of your eyes when you walk through a cloud of them. They really smart.

These do not sound like bobos. We have never had bobos in the house but these little grey moth like bugs get into every room in the house. besides, I think the bobo season is over. I thought these were done too as we have hardly any around these days.

We had an invasion of wht the gardner calls palomillas this year, they look like tiny moths.. The gardner srayed the yard and they died outside. Maybe if you have plants nside the eggs or whatever were there and came out.. There were clouds of them outside and they are not bobos.. the bobos are smaller and fly higher..They are both seasonal .

I can't, actually, beyond what is normally installed. It's either a fine mesh or a heavier metal, depending on the door. Nothing special about it. My back patio door is huge; had it made by ViLuMa (when they were good enough to care), and I can see them sitting on it on the outside.

It would have to be pretty poor screening, otherwise. They don't call it mosquitera for nothing. ^_^

I would like to give the same answer as the Computer Guy. Yes I have seen clouds of little bugs or little mosquitos and no they don't get into the house unless I leave a screen door open.

Are my screens special? I sure don't think so. The only time I found bugs in the house, I was totally confused until I finally looked at the big tub of firewood, my gardener had brought into the house.  The firewood was infested with termites. 

Thank God, the only wood I had or have in my house was that firewood.

On 10/24/2018 at 6:13 PM, ComputerGuy said:

That's ridiculous. I'm going to suggest people get better screens. They don't come into my house.

I agree.  I don't usually have bobos or other insects in my house unless I leave a door open.  The rare one may come in through the dog door in the screen door.  I always assumed that all screen here was extra fine.

2 hours ago, David Benfield said:

How does one deal with tiny ants that appear from under the baseboard daily? Is there an exterminator in Ajijic?

I would like to know if an exterminator can get rid of those tiny ants.  I've heard them called sugar ants.  My maid calls them esquimiles.  I had them crawling up and down the walls in a couple of places in my bathroom.  I finally popped the face plates on the plug and light switch and sprayed inside with a heavy dose of Raid.  That was two weeks ago.  So far no more sign of them.

• 1 year later...

Good stuff! My tiny ants seemed to come from light switches at first. Now it seems they are even smaller & seem to just magically appear. I squirt them with dish soap & water (citric type is best) kills them instantly. Faster than any bug spray. But now I can’t ever find out how they get from a to b. I left peanut butter & sliced apples on my coffee table for a couple hours. They love apple & the 1 remaining slice was covered, but don’t touch PB. But no trace how they got there. No trail, none coming up the table leg, on the floor. Just on the apple. They seem smaller than the ones from light switches, that I no longer have. I’ve fumigated. Any insight on these tiny critters & how to find the source? They don’t haul food off. Baffled! 

Good stuff! My tiny ants seemed to come from light switches at first. Now it seems they are even smaller & seem to just magically appear. I squirt them with dish soap & water (citric type is best) kills them instantly. Faster than any bug spray. But now I can’t ever find out how they get from a to b. I left peanut butter & sliced apples on my coffee table for a couple hours. They love apple & the 1 remaining slice was covered, but don’t touch PB. But no trace how they got there. No trail, none coming up the table leg, on the floor. Just on the apple. They seem smaller than the ones from light switches, that I no longer have. I’ve fumigated. Any insight on these tiny critters & how to find the source? They don’t haul food off. Baffled!

l