Chapala.com Webboard

Is it possible for someone else to bring in your vehicle from the states

Yes, but as Vista Lake pointed out YOU have to be in the vehicle. Also car must be lien free or have a notarized letter from the finance company agreeing to let you bring their car down. 

It is often possible to hire someone to drive you and your car from the border from this area.

Parents / children / spouses may OR you get TIP online then anybody who is a tourist or temporary can drive it down

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:31 PM, RickS said:

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/#

Click '' Ingles " top right....

And if one needs a Tourist Card to go along with it, 

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html 

We also got a mx. car insurance via that site. It is easy and fast. They use currier and we got all documents in less than a week.

• 2 weeks later...

To sum it up:  Get the TIP online.  Get the insurance online.  Whomever is driving the vehicle for you should have a letter (in Spanish) from you authorizing them to drive the vehicle. It should be notarized by a Notario in Mexico  That person will need a tourist permit or residente temporal. 

You say ‘should’ have a letter authorizing....  do you mean that it might be prudent or are you suggesting that it would be required. I’ve not ever read/heard that there is a requirement like this for the ‘right kind’ of person to drive someone else’s TIP vehicle in Mexico. It might be judicious to do so.... I always do when I’m driving another’s car out of Mexico..... but I’m surely not aware that it is required. 

It would be extremely prudent, although not required, hence the word should instead of must.. If they are involved in a police stop or accident it would be proof that they have permission to drive the vehicle. Might prevent many problems. As it says in the Boy Scout Handbook "always be prepared"

Archived