Chapala.com Webboard

Nexium, Prilosec

ComputerGuy

11 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Does anyone know if there are there similar magnesium-based products here, especially in generic form?

Omeprazole, available at any farmacia.  Generic at Dr. Simi.

I received a message suggesting that this topic should not be here. I kind of agree, but to where should we move it? We don't have a topic where medical issues would go.  So I guess unless someone has a better suggestion where this topic should be moved to,  we might as well leave it right here. I know I found the topic interesting. And learned that Nexium, aka, esomeprazole was more powerful than Omeprazole. I had never heard of Pantoprazole

Have a good weekend and enjoy an extra hour of sleep tomorrow morning.

The EVIL Mod5

Perhaps I am oversimplifying this. But, if a topic does not fit any of the specified categories then it should be in the main forum, should it not? I have seen plenty of questions/discussions  about medications, doctors, supplements in the main forum, and it has not been challenged before. 

But just to kid around, you said that this was rather myopic. But did you mean hyper-myopic or hypo-myopic (Near sited or far sited?)

Oh :) or did you mean short or tall sighted?  

Forgive me for kidding around. But I just couldn't help it :) 

Might be helpful to all to look up these names of medications that you're bandying about as good for this or that. Some are proton-pump inhibitors, some have other means of effect. In any case, they should be used for specific and ongoing conditions-they are not like taking Tums.

Yes, well, thanks, but I did a ton of research before I asked here. My question was very specific. And I got my answer.

You've got your upset stomach, your gas, your hearburn, your reflux, and your full-on GERD. These are all related and treated in different ways, but the crossover of medications is massively confusing. Tums has calcium carbonate, which plugs up your system. Prilosec loosens up your system. Taking a couple of tablets for temporary relief is obviously different from taking something for long-term or chronic issues.

No, I disagree. That's not up for discussion. But because it's you, I'll answer: for me it's rarely. In fact, my question was not even about what I should use, let alone why. I knew what I wanted: my question was is there a generic. More Liana, my favourite chef and person-who-knows-a-lot-about-Mexico, gave me an answer right away. The rest of this thread is just a ramble.

Although the op didn't need this info. Anyone using a PPI should be aware of the long-term effects which Cdif and some others should be taken into consideration prior to commitment. Plus fractures and a whole slew of serious effects.

Omeprazole has serious interactions with at least 22 different drugs.

Cdiff info

https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm290510.htm

https://www.rxlist.com/consumer_omeprazole_prilosec/drugs-condition.htm#

correct omeprazole, Nexium etc are not for once in a while heartburn... no question about that and  when you have serious GERD problems like I do they are not effective either. I think surgery is the only way and I do not want tha either.. I guess you cannnot win that battle..

Just now, barcelonaman said:

If the op thinks these ppi s are the same as tums he is seriously mistaken.

I have taken rantadine.oprazamole and nexium for 30 years for gerd. 

Big mistake i now have terminal damage which is more than likely caused by this.

They are not tums.

You are correct. One reason I wanted the generic name here, so I could do further research. I am fortunate in that I have had very little in terms of GERD, or even upset stomach.

So, in the end, this thread has been useful to me, because it appears I asked the wrong question. Thanks to everyone for their input; I hope the information helps others.

Perhaps my question should have been, what is a replacement for Tums that does not cause constipation?

Archived