Chapala.com Webboard

HSBC credit card

cedros

Has anyone got a credit card from the HSBC in San Antonio Tlayacapan? If so how well does it work? I have an account there plus HSBC accounts and a HSBC credit card in Canada. I usually use the Canadian ones but sometimes I have trouble with my Canadian ATM & Credit Cards (glitches?). My HSBC account manager in Canada wants me to find a contact at HSBC in San Antonio so she can get them to make my Mexican account Premier and maybe get proper service to cover any problems I may have with my Canadian cards. For me when travelling there is nothing worse than not being able to access my money.

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2018 at 3:22 PM, cedros said:

Has anyone got a credit card from the HSBC in San Antonio Tlayacapan? If so how well does it work? I have an account there plus HSBC accounts and a HSBC credit card in Canada. I usually use the Canadian ones but sometimes I have trouble with my Canadian ATM & Credit Cards (glitches?). My HSBC account manager in Canada wants me to find a contact at HSBC in San Antonio so she can get them to make my Mexican account Premier and maybe get proper service to cover any problems I may have with my Canadian cards. For me when travelling there is nothing worse than not being able to access my money.

So I tried to get a CC at HSBC in San Antonio. The manager said once you are past 69 years and 11 months you can't get one. I tried  Bancomer and Scotia bank but got the same answer. I have a new CC from HSBC in Canada coming but it has been stuck at customs in Mexico City for 10 days. I would like a second one for security. Someone suggested I try to get a Visa at Costco in Guadalajara. Has anyone done that? I can't get one from a different Canadian bank unless I go apply in person. 

1 minute ago, barbara habacht said:

We are over 70....but the age problem was waived by Mexican voter card

How do you get a Mexican voter card?

We were both turned down by many banks when we were between 68 and 70  and were called by banks after we were 70 and were told it was because we had changed our citizenship. Believe what you want Angus , that was what we were told by several banks.They are not going to mention citizenship because it is not legal for them to discriminate based on nationality. Age s ok...After being turned down by several banks before we were 70 we got a card when I turned 70 and my husband 74 and were told it was because we had become citizens  by the bank.

I have been told that some walmarts.....and not the one here....might overlook your lack of Mexican id if you approach to open a saving account, then wait a few months and ask for their credit card. That credit card becomes a reference when trying for a Santander based card......like Amex or Visa. Apply at the beginning of a month rather than mid month.

Fred Habacht

One of the conditions of bank-issued credit cards in Mexico is a minimum of six months of banking history with the institution at which you are making application. Your NOB credit history is irrelevant: what they care about is your credit worthiness in-country. (Note: even your Telcel monthly bill helps build credit history, because they've checked out your credit-worthiness from your application.) Bancomer, as one example, requires a minimum of six months of monthly activity, including monthly deposits of at least $6000. (That will likely, according to the rep I spoke with in Ajijic) earn you an initial maximum card limit of the same: $6000.00. The higher the monthly deposits, the higher the credit limit, and you also cannot exceed the $ of funds in your account. (Yes, you can deposit and withdraw; you are not required to add the minimum monthly deposit for six months and keep it in your account. They want to see activity...having more than the required $6000.00 for longer than six months means nothing.) The same process applies at HSBC, who indicates online that their minimum monthly deposit is $5000.00.

Mexican credit cards are useful for many online purchases where US credit cards get snagged in the international authorization of the sales transaction. Volaris, for example, has noted issues with their website, including payment authorization process (on their end) when using a foreign card. A Mexican credit card doesn't seem to have this hiccup and we've used it for NOB purchases online (even with deliveries to a shipping address NOB different from the Mexico mailing address) with no problem.

To use a NOB credit card in potentially troublesome online purchases in Mexico (again, Volaris), I start my online transaction to the point where I'm ready to hit "purchase" and get on the phone with a live NOB credit card company rep so they can OK the transaction as it passes to them through the ether. That seems to work for me. 

50 minutes ago, jrod said:

One of the conditions of bank-issued credit cards in Mexico is a minimum of six months of banking history with the institution at which you are making application. Your NOB credit history is irrelevant: what they care about is your credit worthiness in-country. (Note: even your Telcel monthly bill helps build credit history, because they've checked out your credit-worthiness from your application.) Bancomer, as one example, requires a minimum of six months of monthly activity, including monthly deposits of at least $6000. (That will likely, according to the rep I spoke with in Ajijic) earn you an initial maximum card limit of the same: $6000.00. The higher the monthly deposits, the higher the credit limit, and you also cannot exceed the $ of funds in your account. (Yes, you can deposit and withdraw; you are not required to add the minimum monthly deposit for six months and keep it in your account. They want to see activity...having more than the required $6000.00 for longer than six months means nothing.) The same process applies at HSBC, who indicates online that their minimum monthly deposit is $5000.00.

Mexican credit cards are useful for many online purchases where US credit cards get snagged in the international authorization of the sales transaction. Volaris, for example, has noted issues with their website, including payment authorization process (on their end) when using a foreign card. A Mexican credit card doesn't seem to have this hiccup and we've used it for NOB purchases online (even with deliveries to a shipping address NOB different from the Mexico mailing address) with no problem.

To use a NOB credit card in potentially troublesome online purchases in Mexico (again, Volaris), I start my online transaction to the point where I'm ready to hit "purchase" and get on the phone with a live NOB credit card company rep so they can OK the transaction as it passes to them through the ether. That seems to work for me. 

I wonder. I've had an account at HSBC here for 9 years and a Telcel account for several years but it doesn't help.

15 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Gotta disagree. Here is what their site says w/o mentioning citizenship:

Requisitos
  • Ingreso mínimo mensual requerido $5,000.00 M.N.
  • Identificación oficial (Credencial de Elector, pasaporte vigente y en caso de ser extranjero FM2 y Pasaporte)
  • Comprobante de domicilio (Recibo de luz o predial con antigüedad no mayor a dos meses)
  • Comprobante de ingresos (Cuenta de Inversiones, 2 últimos recibos de nómina, estado de cuenta o presentar una Tarjeta de Crédito de otra institución)
  • Tener entre 18 y 74 años 11 meses de edad
  • Ser persona física
  • No tener antecedentes crediticios negativos en Buró de Crédito
  • Antigüedad mínima en el empleo de 1 año

Still using FM2's as a requirement!   How long have they been obsolete?  5 years... maybe?  What else is incorrect?

1 hour ago, gringal said:

For the elder expats who are NOT Mexican citizens:  Check out:  U.S.State Dept. Federal Credit Union.  They cater to diplomats and expats and issue VISA cards.  No need to apply in person in the U.S. to open accounts: Savings, Checking and credit card.

I wonder if there is something similar for Canada.

2 hours ago, gringal said:

Thanks for that. My security won't let me view the most interesting links there. I will have to find a workaround. 

Archived