Chapala.com Webboard

Tires

stoneleigh

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Until you consider you can just drive in, they do the install, the balance, and so on, and off you go...

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I like the tire shop at the curves going into Jocotepec, on the lake side.

I would recommend that place also. Complete tire service and honest.

If you continue on towards Jocotepec about a kilometer or so there is another tire place on the left. It might be cheaper but I don't trust them and wouldn't buy there.

Some folks always say Costco which works fine for them.  I don't like Costco and don't have a membership.  I also like to do comparison shopping online where I get choices for all makes and models along with side by side comparison as to wear, price, traction, satisfaction ratings from consumers, etc.  Then just take the info to a local tire shop and have them order the tires you want.  They will give you a price that includes balancing, mounting, stems, etc.  Costco basically requires you buy only what they sell which are mostly Bridgestone and Michelin and tend to be expensive choices.  You might see if you can work your way through their website or drive in to the nearest store and see what they would cost for the size you need, if they sell that size, and then look on the internet to compare.  Take the Costco info to a local dealer and see what he can do for you for the same tire if that is the tire you want.  I found that the prices on Mercado Libre were higher for the same tire than if ordered by the dealer.  Alan

barrbower, you and I buy tires the same way... with some research and specific to the vehicle I am shoeing. But I don't think most people do this. To many, tires are just a commodity.  'Where are they the cheapest or the easiest for me to have it done'.

P.S.  My thoughts are NOT directed to anyone who has posted on this thread....

None taken. My cheaper tires tend to last about six years, driving around here. Couldn't tell you how many miles, but I do a LOT of rough roads getting to 20 or more clients every week. And two trips to the coast per year.

Not sure if it is the case now but a couple years ago there were a lot of Chinese knock-off's around in a lot of the local tire places but never Costco. These were coming from the cartels based in Lazaro Cardenas. 

38 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Not sure if it is the case now but a couple years ago there were a lot of Chinese knock-off's around in a lot of the local tire places but never Costco. These were coming from the cartels based in Lazaro Cardenas. 

That is still the case in some tire places. The second tire place that you come to in Jocotepec when coming from the east was promoting Chinese tires. Cheaper but....

Just because you bought tires in the US or from Costco with a "name brand" on them does not mean they are American made. Worst tires I ever owned were Coopers made in Mexico followed by US made Goodyears.  Sorry.  Bridgestone, Cooper, Goodyear, Michelin, Pirelli, Firestone, Hankook, Sumitomo, Nexen, Kuhmo, and other respected and well reviewed brands are also made in places like China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Mexico, Chile, Costa Rica, Korea, Philippines, and Poland.  If you buy off the shelf at a retailer that stocks a lot of popular size/brand tires, you could a set of four which were not all made in the same place.  Generally you get what you pay for but not always.  Alan

11 hours ago, barrbower said:

Just because you bought tires in the US or from Costco with a "name brand" on them does not mean they are American made. Worst tires I ever owned were Coopers made in Mexico followed by US made Goodyears.  Sorry.  Bridgestone, Cooper, Goodyear, Michelin, Pirelli, Firestone, Hankook, Sumitomo, Nexen, Kuhmo, and other respected and well reviewed brands are also made in places like China, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Mexico, Chile, Costa Rica, Korea, Philippines, and Poland.  If you buy off the shelf at a retailer that stocks a lot of popular size/brand tires, you could a set of four which were not all made in the same place.  Generally you get what you pay for but not always.  Alan

TOYO made in Japan. Great tires.

If the tyres you want to change are not common ones, it might be better to check the manufacturing dates of 
the products which are generally shown in 4 digit on the sidewall.
The first two digits shows the week and the last digits exhibit the year made. The picture below exhibits the tyre was 
made in the 39th week of 2016.

The Japanese manufactures such as Yokohama, Toyo and Bridgestone including Firestone will not ship out the
products exceeding 3 yrs post manufacturing date. They also guarantee quality and performance characters 
will not deteriorate for 5yrs if the products kept and stored properly.

If the brand new tyres passed too many years on the shelf it may be better to change shop or brand.

tyre.jpg

Get tires with a early born date, maybe no more than 6 months old,

ordered tires once here and the born date was 1 year 1/2 old. told them to i did not want them

went to FRAT auto repair in Chapala, ordered tires, they came with  a born date three months old..

tires get old after 5 years

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to the ‘tire search’ thread....  I was looking for a specific brand/model of tires trying to match 2 good ones that were on a SUV I just bought.... made by BF Goodrich but with a different name. Looked in Chapala, Ajijic to no avail. Then drove out to the shop just in the curve into Jocotopec and they had them. Same price mounted/balanced and installed that I would have had to pay on Mercado Libre for the tires alone.  Great service... even thought they were busy they had me out of there in 45 minutes. 

I just got prices from COSTCO for tires for my Honda CRV-SE SUV.
Thought I would share so you can get an idea of their prices in pesos.
There is a discount for buying 4 tires at the same time on two of the brands.

BF Goodrich SUV Advantage Go      $1849.00  ($95.02 USD) less $500 ($25.69 USD)/4 tires
Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport 98H   $1949.00 ($100.15 USD) no 4 tire discount
Michelin Primacy                                $2499.00 ($128.40 USD) less $700 ($35.96 USD)/4 tires

The discount is the total discount on all four tires if purchased at the same time, not the discount per tire if 4 are purchased.
You have to divide the discount above by 4 to get the discount per tire.
With the Michelin, COSTCO carries at least two lesser value tires. The Primacy listed above is allegedly their top of the line.

Archived