Chapala.com Webboard

Hurricane Willa

sm1mex

We may get some weather from this so keep a watch and prepare.  Cat 4 storms are pretty bad.

MEXICO CITY — A newly formed hurricane is rapidly gaining force off Mexico's Pacific coast and forecasters say it could reach Category 4 status before hitting land by midweek along a stretch of shore between Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

BBOFORJ.img?h=448&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=461&y=483

I wouldn't want to be in the path of that storm. Lake Chapala looks way out of and below the projected path of the worst of the storm. I am no expert but I am guessing that we will get some rain. And that is OK. But please, not too much :) 

3 hours ago, giltner68 said:

Actually, I think TS Vincente is more likely to bring you problems, both could add to our current flooding in TX.

The pictures I saw of the Llano River flooding there were beyond imagination.... taking out long standing bridges 25’ or more above flood stage. Flood stage was about 10’ and it got to almost 40!  Stay on high ground giltner68!

16 hours ago, RickS said:

The pictures I saw of the Llano River flooding there were beyond imagination.... taking out long standing bridges 25’ or more above flood stage. Flood stage was about 10’ and it got to almost 40!  Stay on high ground giltner68! 

Yes, the Llano normally flows at 100-200 cubic feet per second and that crest was almost 300,000 cubic feet per second, that's 375 olympic swimming pools per second. Lake Marble Falls where we had dinner had boats, jet skiis, floating docks, trees, you name it heading down to Travis. The only good news was that Both Buchanan and Travis were down due to drought and had capacity to absorb a lot, that's what the system is designed to do. Down there if either or both storms drop a lot of rain upstream Chapala could get a crest pushing the lake even higher, there are no flood control dams/lakes to protect you.

PS: the Kingsland bridge was built to withstand a 50 year flood - it lasted 49 years.

Archived