Chapala.com Webboard

Is the lake level controlled ?

ea93105

Took ride in Batar boat, captains depth finder, showed lake shallow, Chapala 10 feet deep, Ajijic 15 feet  that now the water would be about 20 feet deep middle near Ajijic and 15 deep near middle of Chapala. he had to use raft to get person on board his boat in Chapala a few years ago.

The captain said he likes to keep the boat near San Juan Cosala because the water there is much deeper. 25 feet about now

near Mezcala island its about 25 around the island and abput 40 feet deep near middle  now

I went  with Todd strong to measure the water to Mezcala Island for his fish farm, back then it was about 18 feet round island, one or two place 22 feet. now much higher today.

shallow lake that why the waves can get over 3 1/2 feet high

Took my daily walk today across the footbridge in front of my house from Jesus Garcia to the malecon in San Antonio and the water at the western side was only a few inches from flooding the bridge there. The bridge was not built when I moved here in 2008 but it looks like the water is about as high as it was them, which is the highest I have seen since. Yes, it has been much higher as I can attest, such as in the mid 70's during my very first excursion to Chapala, when the pier was under water and the old (then abandoned) railroad station was flooded. I hope that it does not get higher since I will have to change my daily walk to a less scenic route as the footbridge will be underwater.

Archived