Chapala.com Webboard

petition to stop the building of apartment complexes on the mountain of Tepalo.

ARIBOY

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what we know for sure

.. -1. El proyecto si entró al municipio 
The project (to build 8 apt blocks) is already going forward in the municipality of Chapala 

2.-aún no está aprobado (it is not yet approved)

3.-ya se hizo el cambio de uso de suelo the change in zoning from agricultural and Forrest to tourism and houses has happened 

4.- ya están midiendo el terreno 
Surveying and measuring the land has begun 
5. El que el ayuntamiento diga que es falso es muy delicado ..y vamos a entrar a defender antes que lo aprueben ..
What the government is telling people is false and sensitive information ...we are going to defend the land and stop the approval permits

This is directly from Alicia Cordoba who heads up the group called Chimali Axixic which is Nahuatl for Shield

There is a different report on the status of the project on Inside Lakeside.  Among other things, a person who attended the meeting at Plaza Montana reported that $200,000 would need to be raised for lawyers to attempt to stop the project: it has already US investors involved, and the project is farther along than reported above. It is also involved in a similar project in Zapopan.

Maybe the above was from an earlier meeting.

11 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

200,000 pesos. Not Americans, Jalisco state, banks, South Americans.

This was from the report on the meeting on TOB:

" They are already pre-selling these units with financial backing from the US."

Naturally, I have no idea how reliable this information is.

This reminds of the planned 4 tower complex that was to be on the west end of Chapala. Unrealistic. All the construction traffic down that narrow lane that feeds into Revolution? Sometimes you can't even get a car up or down Revolution with all the parked cars.

5 minutes ago, tomgates said:

This reminds of the planned 4 tower complex that was to be on the west end of Chapala. Unrealistic. All the construction traffic down that narrow lane that feeds into Revolution? Sometimes you can't even get a car up or down Revolution with all the parked cars.

Before any of these towers get built , hell will freeze over first, and Revolution will be a 4 lane highway 

It might be good to make your case to the municipio, as far as traffic problems, but with empty pockets, they will take the money and not improve the roads. Worth a try. 

I am usually of the bent that of you want to lock up the land against construction, then YOU buy the land. It is private property, and the owners should be able to do what they want with it. But I do think that traffic problems should be addressed first.  

Part of this land is NOT private property, but land belonging to the indigenous community.  By Mexican law, this kind of land can never be sold; the permits are illegal and will be challenged in court. The road has been built and the electrical transformers installed above San Juan de las Colinas. 

Stay tuned for more information and how to help stop this capital venture which will have a grave environmental and cultural impact on our town.

8 hours ago, Taaffe said:

Part of this land is NOT private property, but land belonging to the indigenous community.  By Mexican law, this kind of land can never be sold; the permits are illegal and will be challenged in court. The road has been built and the electrical transformers installed above San Juan de las Colinas. 

Stay tuned for more information and how to help stop this capital venture which will have a grave environmental and cultural impact on our town.

I drove up San Juan de las Colinas all the way to the end this afternoon. Where the road "ends" at a gated driveway looking east, there is a cobblestone road with a construction vehicle parked on it. If you look on google maps streetview, this "path" is overgrown with grass (as of Aug 2013). Now its a single lane, same as the rest of San Juan de las Colinas. Here are pics looking down the "road."

Could not see any utility work, but I did not get out and search around. Just FYI.

dev2.jpg

dev1.jpg

On 10/21/2018 at 7:06 AM, Taaffe said:

Not ejido land but partly indigenous land.

So shouldn`t that make it harder for this project to go through?

It’s complicated because some indigenous want to sell and others no. The problem is the environmental impact as well as overburdened services such as water, electric, traffic etc. By law they need ecological studies which they haven’t done. They also must consult the population and they haven’t .

200 houses at La Pueblita,, then nature village by San Juan with the same amount again and so on. 

The Chapala government keeps denying the Tepalo project exists but the road and transformers are there.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=928134300720890&id=241391962728464

we should have an answer ( officially )next week.

It seems to me there is no such thing as indigenous lands except within the defines of ejido.   The latter which was dependent on the allocation of agrarian land to peasant populace.   At least thats my understanding of the Constitution.

15 minutes ago, El Cartero said:

It seems to me there is no such thing as indigenous lands except within the defines of ejido.   The latter which was dependent on the allocation of agrarian land to peasant populace.   At least thats my understanding of the Constitution.

15 minutes ago, El Cartero said:

There is also comunidad agraria which holds about 17 % of the socially held land.

Also:

The lands that correspond to the indigenous groups must be protected by the authorities, under the terms of the law that regulates article 4. and the second paragraph of fraction VII of article 27 of the Constitution. 

In Chiapas , I do not know about here we have ejidos and communal land some indigenous some not  . I would guess the land above is either part of a ejido or communal land and some of it is Federal. I would think that communal land held by indigenous s "indian land" No?

Also in Chiapas or Oaxaca those lands ae owned by a community who dictates what can be dome wth it. By the way in true communal land there are duties as well as rights. The community draft its members to take care of the land, to clean itm to protect it from fire, to build and maintain roads etc.. this is called "cooperacón", if you do not do your share or pay someone to do it , you lose your rights to the land, you and your children may use the land and it is yours as long as you use it. f you do not  some communities will take it away. It is a whole lot more complicated than it appears.. In Ajijic , I have no idea bout the status of that land but I am sure we will hear all about it eventually.

Interesting BD but I understand the reference to agrarian community land to be an edijo by definition.   All the result of the revolution against Diaz’ cabal.   Article 4 deals with professions.   I don’t see a specific mention of indigenous people in Article 27 but I do see ss 4 referencing the sale of rural land as prohibited from sale to commercial stock companies.   My thought was Mexico was unique in treating natives as being NOT different from any other citizen.   Equality being the key.  So my only point was there is no such thing as “indigenous land” per se.   Indigenous defined as native american.   If you have an exact reference in the constitution to indigenous let me know ‘cause I cannot find it.   Thanks

Archived