Chapala.com Webboard

Police---again

HarryB

The topic of police here is complicated. I'll try to explain briefly.

Traffic police--white trucks with vialidad painted on . These are state employees and the municipality has no control over them. Good news they have a new commandante who is tough,  Community Liaison, Hector Espana Ramos talked to him the other day. Their office is on Degollado in Chapala. Hector discussed the two way streets in Ajijic with parking which with the increased traffic are becoming more and more dangerous.  He also discussed the mordida hound El Gordo. The commandante said he can not make any changes until the state government changes in January. Until then:

If you are stopped and did something wrong simply ask for the folio. If the officer is reluctant to give you the ticket or threatens to take your car, ask to see his ID take a foto of it,not him. Also take a foto of the truck plate. Make sure all your papers are in order and in one place for ready production. The Guad Reporter listed them several weeks back. Being IDed should back him off. If he threatens to call a tow truck or does, ask to talk to the commandante (765-4747).  We've talked to the #2 municipal police and explained the problem . He said Transito can only operate west of the Ajijic panteon and on the libramento to the state highway. If you have a problem within the villages , call the municipal police for assistance (765-4444) or 911. They will help you.

Municipal police, numbers above, can only help with prevention. They can stop a crime in progress.

After the fact, you need to go to ministerio publico to file a report. Their office is across from Christina Park in Chapala 766-2415. They have investigators. 

Chapala got a several million peso federal grant to establish a MUNICIPAL transito. There has been a holdup with their ability to issue tickets, so, they are basically limited to directing traffic.

So you see we have lots of police, but, their powers are limited to specific areas of operation. The thing they need most is information. If you are reluctant to be IDed pm Hector at espaneramoshector@yahoo.com or me here.

BTW we toured the police station in Chapala the other day and it is a mess. They have painted their armory and somme outside courtyard. But, there is peeling paint everywhere. Chapala Sunrise Rotary and Ajijic Rotary donated 15 gallons of paint. I may be getting some photos to share. A couple of things"our" cops need is a sheet of 4x8 plywood to use as a modesty panel for their business administrator's desk and a working refrigerator. They have three, I donated one to the last admin, nonworking.   

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

After the fact, you need to go to ministerio publico to file a report. Their office is across from Christina Park in Chapala 766-2415. They have investigators. 

If for some reason one needs to go to the Ministerio Público offices and has to ask someone on the street for directions, the name of the park across the street is La Cristianía.

The Tansito police are operating all along the carretera, not just west of the panteon, becuase I've seen them handling accidents, towing illegal quads and golf carts, and doing other traffic stops.  So it seems to me that somebody is either misinformed, lying, or committing crimes while in uniform.  Can you please clarify for us, Harry?  I'd suggest to folks to read Spencer's recent post about Jalisco traffic regulations.  It might save you some grief.  Also, remember, laws are one thing and law enforcement is another.  Don't assume anybody is going to obey the rules or enforce infractions.  Harry, thanks for all you do.  Alan

i'LL TALK TO hECTOR TODAY ABOUT THE TRANSITOS WORKING THE carretera.. I'll be out of town until the 28th.

I saw that the sanitation in the cells was like an old fashioned out house. I don't see that changing. I was happy to see there was at least a cover. The ladies cell was the cleanest and had a private commode (hole). Try not to be a resident.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, I think it is supposed to be. I am told the "Transito" sell reserved for expats is much worse (to encourage mordida). Hopefully the new comandante will see that changes.

transito cell?  I was with a Mexican young woman who was in for assault, accross the courtyard were 2 cells, one wiith a middle class Mexican  and one where they poor a poor Mexican who was hurt. In that cell they threw in a guy who was threwing uo all over the place on everythng and they came in with a hose and hosed everyone in there..so the poor guys spent the rest of the night in pain and wet.. pretty disgusting if you asked me.. I did not see any gringo anywhere around.

i was referring to the separate transito police, who have a separate office and separate nonluxury cells and a specially gross one for gringos (in the past) according to acquaintances who were residents. The new comandante may have changed that.

BTW the Chapala and Ajijic rotarys just gave the municipal police 15 gallons of paint to cleanup the station. If you think the cells are bad, you should see the police kitchen. They desperately need someone to donate a refrig.

On 10/20/2018 at 9:57 AM, More Liana said:

If for some reason one needs to go to the Ministerio Público offices and has to ask someone on the street for directions, the name of the park across the street is La Cristianía.

Thank you for writing that with the accent.  I've always pronounced it that way but wondered if the stress fell on the i.  Most signs (street signs, town names, place names, etc.) are usually written in capital letters, thus avoiding including accents.

3 hours ago, bdlngton said:

Thank you for writing that with the accent.  I've always pronounced it that way but wondered if the stress fell on the i.  Most signs (street signs, town names, place names, etc.) are usually written in capital letters, thus avoiding including accents.

That lack of accents over capital letters has a funny history!  In the olden days, when newspaper type was set by hand, there was plenty of room for those accents over a lower-case letter--but no room at all for an accent over an upper-case letter.  So the papers couldn't print them, and the "custom" caught on amongst the populus, and we still do it that way today: 90% of the time there are no accents even over upper-case letters on all those signs you mention, even when there is plenty of room.  It's a big PITA unless you know where the stress really falls on a word or name.

well the new police now have paint to make their station more professional looking and a very kind couple from San Antonio donated a refrig so the cops can have a working kitchen. things are looking up in the new admin.

Several years back Spencer wrote a post that described all the different police. Truck colour, uniform colour, responsibilities of the different ones. I wish I had saved that post. I can't find it.

Hector had 4 letters when I asked on here for complaints about the traffic police and Dale Palfrey wrote her article also asking for letters. We got one more letter. Just shows how lazy people are when asked to do anything.

Having read the letters most people still do not understand that the traffic police do NOT work for the municipality. They are state employees,

Archived