Chapala.com Webboard

Social Security issues

virgogirl

I recently turned 65 and the subsequent SS check had Medicare taken out so once I noticed that, I started the process of filling out forms and dealing with having it removed. I decided to change my address with them as well to here in mexico. This triggered more form filling and a deep look into my work status down here. They were asking for work contracts which the three schools i have worked for have not given but I provided legal documents filed for INM to prove the employment. Now I have high anxiety about how much more info they will want, or will they just process it. I've talked to people who have had months of hoop jumping to get the Medicare cancelled. So far I have understood that the SS located in GDL is far quicker than trying to do it thru the states, so at least i feel on the right track that way. I'm looking for what your experience has been to get medicare cancelled and how long it took. My income is low as an English teacher, not enough to file taxes on or report against the SS check. I wonder if they are going to have me investigated by the IRS. I just hate this feeling. Comments welcomed.

8 hours ago, virgogirl said:

I recently turned 65 and the subsequent SS check had Medicare taken out so once I noticed that, I started the process of filling out forms and dealing with having it removed. I decided to change my address with them as well to here in mexico. This triggered more form filling and a deep look into my work status down here. They were asking for work contracts which the three schools i have worked for have not given but I provided legal documents filed for INM to prove the employment. Now I have high anxiety about how much more info they will want, or will they just process it. I've talked to people who have had months of hoop jumping to get the Medicare cancelled. So far I have understood that the SS located in GDL is far quicker than trying to do it thru the states, so at least i feel on the right track that way. I'm looking for what your experience has been to get medicare cancelled and how long it took. My income is low as an English teacher, not enough to file taxes on or report against the SS check. I wonder if they are going to have me investigated by the IRS. I just hate this feeling. Comments welcomed.

Part A of Medicare is free and I don't think it can be "cancelled" although you can't use it in Mexico. Part B is deducted from your check, so that can be cancelled.  I first called the office and they said I had to send a letter to cancel it.  I did so.  Relax. The wheels grind slowly in gov't doings.

9 hours ago, bontepar said:

Thake up Canadian citizenship, non of this non sense

Will Canada actually let me get citizenship at 66 years old and start receiving social security or retirement checks without having worked there. Where should I sign up. I thought the USA was the only country that foolish.

There is a formula where if you are still working it reduces your SS by a percentage, they probably need the info do to the calculation.  

44 minutes ago, geeser said:

Will Canada actually let me get citizenship at 66 years old and start receiving social security or retirement checks without having worked there. Where should I sign up. I thought the USA was the only country that foolish.

You need to get an immigration visa and live in Canada for 3 years, bu you get Full medical coverage from day 1 that you move to canada

Thank you Oregonto chapala. I think my mistake was to initiate two processes at once. I asked for address change from USA address to my address here. This initiated more forms. The cancellation of medicare Part B only required one form and the copy of the passport. So I recommend anyone needing to do processes thru internet in gdl, just do one at a time, because if they need more info, then they will hold up ALL processes waiting for the info. this is where i went wrong. i just submitted the last bundle of paperwork friday night, don't know if this will satisfy them.

Intercasa is right, when you are working and collecting social security if you make over the limit which is around 17,000 dollars a year it goes against your social security check. I don't come close to that kind of money, nor the limit on tax filing.

Here's the bottom line, because I wanted to change my address to am mexican one, that called for the form 21. then i answered that i was working. that called for an added form 1763. 

It all just made me crazy but it is all submitted now, so we'll see. Kyle, I don't remember opting in to medicare part B. But maybe I did two years ago when i initially started the SS before I can back here. I think they automatically start it unless you made the effort tom opt out before 65. I just didn't think about that.

Those of you who wrote to say i should be canadian or something, the banter does not belong on this thread and has nothing to do with the nature of my question. thanks to all others who answered the OP properly. Teresa

“If you are collecting Social Security retirement benefits before full retirement age, your benefits are reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn over the limit. Once you reach full retirement age, there is no limit on the amount of money you may earn and still receive your full Social Security retirement benefit.” 

Currently, the full benefit age is 66 years and 2 months for people born in 1955, and it will gradually rise to 67 for those born in 1960 or later. Early retirement benefits will continue to be available at age 62, but they will be reduced more.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:53 PM, virgogirl said:

I just did it, one form, CMS-1763, filled out by you then scanned then that file sent back via email to SS in Guad.  Done.

1 hour ago, bournemouth said:

Did you download the form or did SS send it to you by email?  TIA.

I asked them about it and they sent it by email.

1 hour ago, SunshineyDay said:

Before you emailed the cms 1763 form back did you have to visit face to face with a rep?

No, there was no need for that. All done by email.

Hello SunshineyDay:

the email is fbu.guadalajara@ssa.gov.

The first thing you do is let them know what you want. I made the mistake of wanting to change address as well as remove medicare. when one thing is attached to the other, thenwhatever is lacking will hold up the process. it's because i work that it spurred me to fill more forms. when you write to them, and are processing things, do only one thing at a time, and keep it all on the same thread. you cannot break from that. in other words as you go along with them, never start a new email. i had no face to face contact. they want to do these things by email.

I am running into a second problem. I cannot make an account with "MY Social Security". This allows you to see what is going on with your account. I kept getting kicked out and i feel i put the correct mailing address and phone number that i had when i signed up. I tried to call a GDL number today, but all i got was a fax machine. Does anyone have workable numbers for the office in GDL?

No workable numbers for Social Security in Guad... this per the U.S. warden - only the FBU email. I do know that as of earlier this year you could not sign up for "My Social Security" if you have an address registered with them outside the USA.  And then I was told that if you change to a U.S. address you must deposit your SS to a U.S. bank - and I need to verify that fact 'cause I don't think it's true.

On 10/24/2018 at 5:31 PM, virgogirl said:

Hello SunshineyDay:

the email is fbu.guadalajara@ssa.gov.

The first thing you do is let them know what you want. I made the mistake of wanting to change address as well as remove medicare. when one thing is attached to the other, thenwhatever is lacking will hold up the process. it's because i work that it spurred me to fill more forms. when you write to them, and are processing things, do only one thing at a time, and keep it all on the same thread. you cannot break from that. in other words as you go along with them, never start a new email. i had no face to face contact. they want to do these things by email.

I am running into a second problem. I cannot make an account with "MY Social Security". This allows you to see what is going on with your account. I kept getting kicked out and i feel i put the correct mailing address and phone number that i had when i signed up. I tried to call a GDL number today, but all i got was a fax machine. Does anyone have workable numbers for the office in GDL?

I asked SS about this and was told via email:

My SSA services are currently available to US residents. We are working to provide you with this service in the international arena but at this moment you may still find some restrictions that may include issues with IP addresses. You may want to try creating a My SSA account while in the US. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please note that in order to create a My SSA account you need to have a US address and the information entered when creating your account must match with your SSA record.

In other words, you can`t make this with a computer while in Mexico.  Also, having a Mexican address may be a problem in accessing My SS.

On 10/20/2018 at 9:49 AM, bontepar said:

You need to get an immigration visa and live in Canada for 3 years, bu you get Full medical coverage from day 1 that you move to canada

The waiting period for health insurance in Canada varies from 0 to 3 months depending on the Province. Most are 3 months but 1 or 2 are immediate.

On 10/20/2018 at 9:04 AM, geeser said:

Even with dual citizenship you would still be liable for US income tax, unless you want to spend thousands of dollars to renounce your US citizenship.

Archived