Chapala.com Webboard

Best new water pipe option ?

ea93105

I'm going to replace all the rusty galvanized pipes during a remodel, what should I replace them with ? ABS plastic tubing. copper, or is PEX flexible tubing an option here now,  ?

Thanks for any input.

If you can get it, pex is the way to go.  This is what all the plumbers I know of in my area of the states is using.  It is very easy to use, you just need a cutter and ratchet to apply the fittings.  It even comes in color's so you can tell the hot water line from the cold water line. No soldering and no corrosion like with copper.  Life expectancy of the pex is also very good better than the copper.  Problem with pcv is sometimes the glue will wind up leting it leak or turn lose on you.  I know my plumber who sometimes uses pcv has gone to a new cleaner and glue and this seems to do a better job.  

Thanks for the replies

I think I found the tubing I'm going to use at a Fereteria hidden in Chapala behind Soriana. They have thick wall plastic tubing for water which is somewhat flexible. Comes in four different varieties, cold, hot, super and super hot ( all blue color) and they also have a rust colored one which has threading. The blue ones need to be melted to connections

They also have the heavy duty  black water/ septic pipes which nobody else seems to carry.( rust colored ABS)

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, ea93105 said:

I'm going to replace all the rusty galvanized pipes during a remodel, what should I replace them with ? ABS plastic tubing. copper, or is PEX flexible tubing an option here now,  ?

Thanks for any input.

Highly recommend the TuboPlus green pipe for water systems, it is a double walled co-polymer pipe produced in MX by RotoPlas under license from the German inventors many years ago.   Available in all sizes both residential and commercial / industrial.

It is thermo-fused together, pretty much indestructible, leak-proof, great for both high pressure and high temp (rated to 190 F) and has some built-in insulating qualities due to the double walled design.   About the same price as copper and there are compatible parts to mate it with most existing threaded pipe systems.

https://distribuidornacional.com/Item/TuberiarotoplasTuboplusHidraulico

It is compatible with the blue pipe, which is a less expensive version of the TuboPlus.

Keep in mind that PVC is not legal for pressure/potable water systems anywhere in the US anymore.  Pex type tubing, copper, or CPVC are all legal.  PVC is only used for drain, vent, and irrigation applications.  Galvanized has not been legal for clean water applications for many years either.  But both are still used frequently in Mexico.  They also still connect copper threaded fittings directly to galvanized which is also dangerous because it will cause rust and leaks and is also illegal in the US.  Also copper is not recommended for gas, and in some cases banned, but they use it here for that as well.  I don't think there is such a thing as a licensed plumber or an inspector with enforcement powers here so buyer beware.  Alan

3 hours ago, southland said:

Yes, it's north and east of Soriana. Up on Pescadores about a block from Alacranes.

http://chapala.linkbyme.com.mx/j-jesus-cabrera-jimenez-if5671292/

Pescadores #48

Great prices too. They quoted 280 pesos for a section of orange septic pipe vs 450 in Ajijic.  5000 liter Rotoplas tank $11,400 vs 14,200 at another ferreteria.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, Go Solar said:

Highly recommend the TuboPlus green pipe for water systems, it is a double walled co-polymer pipe produced in MX by RotoPlas under license from the German inventors many years ago.   Available in all sizes both residential and commercial / industrial.

It is thermo-fused together, pretty much indestructible, leak-proof, great for both high pressure and high temp (rated to 190 F) and has some built-in insulating qualities due to the double walled design.   About the same price as copper and there are compatible parts to mate it with most existing threaded pipe systems.

https://distribuidornacional.com/Item/TuberiarotoplasTuboplusHidraulico

It is compatible with the blue pipe, which is a less expensive version of the TuboPlus.

Nice !.  I'll probably go with the blue piping since it's stocked locally. My only concern is the melting tool and whether it will be hard to make connections in tight spaces

Update. Trip to home depot today, they have the green TuboPlus as well as PEX and many other new options

The green Tubo Plus is also available locally at several places.       The thermo melting tool, as well.   

Re:   install:   The pipe has some flex in it, and unlike copper, where you typically fit everything together and then solder all the joints, you build and join this as you go along.    Like cheating a maze, you can start in the endpoint / hardest to reach spot, and work outward.....!    😉

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, Go Solar said:

The green Tubo Plus is also available locally at several places.       The thermo melting tool, as well.   

Re:   install:   The pipe has some flex in it, and unlike copper, where you typically fit everything together and then solder all the joints, you build and join this as you go along.    Like cheating a maze, you can start in the endpoint / hardest to reach spot, and work outward.....!    😉

Thanks for the tip, who carries TuboPlus around here and is it safe for boiler temperatures ?

Our installers source it in Ixtlahuacan as that store has the full range of sizes and all fittings, plus the thermo-tool.    There are also stores in both Chapala and Ajijic that stock it.    

Yes, safe for boilers, it is rated at 190 F +, and most gas boilers run at 140 F, and typical solar hot water temps are in the 150 to 160 range.

Archived