Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex help needed

Marlayne

We're having trouble with our Telmex modem/router. We inherited it with the house we bought so it may be old. Sometimes it won't connect, getting error messages and it also conks out when connected. What is the process for having it changed or switched out to a new modem/router? Do I go to the local Telmex office to have it switched? Do they speak English? If not, what do I do? Thanks in advance!

Before anything else, do a Factory Reset. Get a pin or long pen tip and hold it into the little hole on the back. It will take 30 or 40 seconds, and the lights will go crazy. Five minutes later, try your devices again.

The local office will not replace modems anymore, without authorization from Mexico City. ( They might give you an old one that has been returned. People on this board will tell you the chances of the old modem being completely dead are likely 100%.)

They will not call Mexico City for you. (01-800-123-2222... get through all the ads and then ask for ENGLISH, PLEASE.)

All three people at the desks at TelMex here speak some English. Enough, anyway.

New Telmex modems are only for new customers according to the Ajijic office.  After getting an authorization number from the 1-800 number, I went into the Telmex office here with my dead modem (confirmed incidentally by ComputerGuy as a house call) and they gave me a replacement modem. That one was dead too. The second authorization number I got from the 1-800 number, also resulted in them passing me a modem that had just been turned in... which I refused. They have no way of checking or certifying that a turned in modem is functional. It's kinda like playing musical chairs... as in revolving modems. I finally bought two modems on Mercado Libre and they both arrived in two days and both work fine.

Here's what I would do:

1) do the factory reset as suggested by ComputerGuy

2) If that doesn't work, call ComputerGuy and he will show up with a functional modem to prove that yours is dead. Charge is very reasonable.

3) Call the 1-800 number and ask for an English tech... Ingles por favor. Get your authorization number and trundle to the Telmex office. OR, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, ask Telmex in Mexico City (the 1-800 number) to send you a new modem. Sometimes it gets there fast and sometimes takes a while longer.

4) Just buy a new modem on Mercado Libre. It's yours, it works, it's guaranteed... and you can take it with you even if you are renting. Just keep the old dead modem if you're renting.

I would also suggest that your new modem is plugged into a surge protector that is plugged into a voltage regulator that is plugged into a definitely grounded outlet.

Be aware that if ComputerGuy's modem doesn't work that it may be your wiring or it may be Telmex' wiring on the street. Either way, you will have to move heaven and earth to get it fixed. Telmex will always put the blame on your house wiring.

I hope I explained that well enough. I've been through it all. Best of luck to you.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Before anything else, do a Factory Reset. Get a pin or long pen tip and hold it into the little hole on the back. It will take 30 or 40 seconds, and the lights will go crazy. Five minutes later, try your devices again.

The local office will not replace modems anymore, without authorization from Mexico City. ( They might give you an old one that has been returned. People on this board will tell you the chances of the old modem being completely dead are likely 100%.)

They will not call Mexico City for you. (01-800-123-2222... get through all the ads and then ask for ENGLISH, PLEASE.)

All three people at the desks at TelMex here speak some English. Enough, anyway.

Thanks CG, good to know. We will follow your recommendations, appreciate the quick reply!

41 minutes ago, Ferret said:

New Telmex modems are only for new customers according to the Ajijic office.  After getting an authorization number from the 1-800 number, I went into the Telmex office here with my dead modem (confirmed incidentally by ComputerGuy as a house call) and they gave me a replacement modem. That one was dead too. The second authorization number I got from the 1-800 number, also resulted in them passing me a modem that had just been turned in... which I refused. They have no way of checking or certifying that a turned in modem is functional. It's kinda like playing musical chairs... as in revolving modems. I finally bought two modems on Mercado Libre and they both arrived in two days and both work fine.

Here's what I would do:

1) do the factory reset as suggested by ComputerGuy

2) If that doesn't work, call ComputerGuy and he will show up with a functional modem to prove that yours is dead. Charge is very reasonable.

3) Call the 1-800 number and ask for an English tech... Ingles por favor. Get your authorization number and trundle to the Telmex office. OR, AND THIS IS IMPORTANT, ask Telmex in Mexico City (the 1-800 number) to send you a new modem. Sometimes it gets there fast and sometimes takes a while longer.

4) Just buy a new modem on Mercado Libre. It's yours, it works, it's guaranteed... and you can take it with you even if you are renting. Just keep the old dead modem if you're renting.

I would also suggest that your new modem is plugged into a surge protector that is plugged into a voltage regulator that is plugged into a definitely grounded outlet.

Be aware that if ComputerGuy's modem doesn't work that it may be your wiring or it may be Telmex' wiring on the street. Either way, you will have to move heaven and earth to get it fixed. Telmex will always put the blame on your house wiring.

I hope I explained that well enough. I've been through it all. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your detailed response. We'll get started going through the process and keep our fingers crossed that it's not the wiring. You mentioned that we can buy a new modem on Mercado Libre - what is the specific product called? Thanks so much for your help!

I have had problems with modems and gone to Telmex and they have swapped out for a new one, try that and see if you have luck

They actually quit giving new ones three years ago this coming January. Some people used trickery and chicanery (like flat out crying) and had some luck, but in the last few months the staff have doubled down on refusals, including... as pointed out... swapping completely broken, previously-returned modems.

Yes, iLox will be an option shortly... also the Telcel modem which is discussed in a recent thread has promise. Having options is good and competition may help.

These are the modems I ordered and the sellers from whom I bought. Both models were recommended by a Telmex tech in Mexico City and both are new (as in a sealed box and sealed plastic with  all the sealed components and instructions). More importantly both work.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-572189720-moden-tg788vn-v2-nuevo-repetidor-_JM#reco_item_pos=2&reco_backend=machinalis-seller-items&reco_backend_type=low_level&reco_client=vip-seller_items-above&reco_id=f055e3a9-3dc7-4837-b217-78ba29034e77

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-631134344-mode-huawei-hg658d-telmex-infinitum-en-caja-sellada-nuevos-_JM#reco_item_pos=4&reco_backend=machinalis-v2p&reco_backend_type=low_level&reco_client=vip-v2p&reco_id=5b548cb6-f5be-479b-b989-4f068f69e018

I used the ishop/imail address to send them to and ishop/mail charged me 20 pesos to receive each of them.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Yes, iLox will be an option shortly... also the Telcel modem which is discussed in a recent thread has promise. Having options is good and competition may help.

These are the modems I ordered and the sellers from whom I bought. Both models were recommended by a Telmex tech in Mexico City and both are new (as in a sealed box and sealed plastic with  all the sealed components and instructions). More importantly both work.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-572189720-moden-tg788vn-v2-nuevo-repetidor-_JM#reco_item_pos=2&reco_backend=machinalis-seller-items&reco_backend_type=low_level&reco_client=vip-seller_items-above&reco_id=f055e3a9-3dc7-4837-b217-78ba29034e77

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-631134344-mode-huawei-hg658d-telmex-infinitum-en-caja-sellada-nuevos-_JM#reco_item_pos=4&reco_backend=machinalis-v2p&reco_backend_type=low_level&reco_client=vip-v2p&reco_id=5b548cb6-f5be-479b-b989-4f068f69e018

I used the ishop/imail address to send them to and ishop/mail charged me 20 pesos to receive each of them.

Was there anything special you had to do when you installed the new modem. Was it just plug and play?  I need to get another one also and rather go the new route then play the telmex game of hide and seek.

Archived