Chapala.com Webboard

Pancho's Grand soft Opening

johanson

Just got back from that wonderful store without the peanut oil I went to get. The store looks very nice, Calfornia style.. the selection is less than impressive but it all looks great. I went there to get peanut ile since the peanut oil at the store in town is sold in a very small bottle, it is organc and 274 pesos for about 250ml..since I cook evryday with peanut oil the organic, price and size are not what I am looking for so I went to the new store that stocks oil that you can find at Walmart but not peanut oil that you cannot find there..so back to SL where they have 2 brands sold by the liter at 177 and 184 per liter.. It will take me a while for me to drive the extra whatever to go back there..

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fiklepe, SL or Pancho´s new stores are owned by Mexicans so what is your problem? They are just as local as the little neighborhood store, just more successful. I shop where I find what I want , I am not out to help or hurt Pancho or SL if they have what I want I shop there if not I do not . I buy no prepared food , want fresh produce and a few specalty tems, but very few so I can do with or without them  In Chiapas we do very well without them, we miss a few things but we have much better produce so t is ok..

I don't know why anyone would be so down on the store. It just opened, and if you notice the title of this thread, it's a soft opening... which means not the official opening. It's not ready; it's not done. A soft opening is an opportunity to introduce the public to a new place and to see what needs to be done to make it better, before any grand opening. Same as a restaurant (a smart one, anyway), right? So give it some time.

And keep in mind, he's calling it a Deli, not a grocery store. SuperLake didn't spring up overnight... it took a looooooooong time to bring it to its (now former) glory.

It's hilarious to watch Pancho being approached by practically everyone who goes in. "Hey, how ya doon? Congrats! By the way, you don't have X, and I want X". I'd be sick of it after one day.

I do not understand why would anyone be so up either.. The store looks great so it is a great beginning but I will keep going to SL as they have what I want.. I think both stores are good for the community and hopefully both will improve and go a little differnt way so we we all benefit from it.

I was at breakfast with several other men when the discussion of Pancho's new store came up.  One man said he would never make it because it was a terrible location.  I said it is a good location with all the new construction in Riberas.  At least 30 or 40 new casas are being built, It has a new XOXO and Pemex and several good restaurants.  I think being between Chapala and Ajijic is a great location he will get a lot of Chapala customers.  I guess if you are not in Ajijic you don't count.  

Just now, bmh said:

The place in Ajijic has a terrible location , this place in Riberas has lots of light, parking and is spacious so a couple of kms one way or another does not make a whole lot of difference.

After we've been putting up with the nightmare Superlake parking lot, where too many people aren't looking where to they're backing up, it will be a great improvement.  Getting in and out of there will be easier.  It's also less congested in the area.

16 hours ago, rafterbr said:

I was at breakfast with several other men when the discussion of Pancho's new store came up.  One man said he would never make it because it was a terrible location.  I said it is a good location with all the new construction in Riberas.  At least 30 or 40 new casas are being built, It has a new XOXO and Pemex and several good estaurants.  I think being between Chapala and Ajijic is a great location he will get a lot of Chapala customers.  I guess if you are not in Ajijic you don't count.  

Terrible location for him evidently.  Not so for a lot of us who live in that direction.  The congestion at SuperLake makes going there tedious.

19 hours ago, bmh said:

The place in Ajijic has a terrible location , this place in Riberas has lots of light, parking and is spacious so a couple of kms one way or another does not make a whole lot of difference.

19 hours ago, rafterbr said:

I was at breakfast with several other men when the discussion of Pancho's new store came up.  One man said he would never make it because it was a terrible location.  I said it is a good location with all the new construction in Riberas.  At least 30 or 40 new casas are being built, It has a new XOXO and Pemex and several good restaurants.  I think being between Chapala and Ajijic is a great location he will get a lot of Chapala customers.  I guess if you are not in Ajijic you don't count.  

Two views - two stores - everybody pick a side.  Wait just a minute - persons without cars in Ajijjic are not represented. And, oddly, if you are without a car and a little bit limpy, a couple of kms does make a difference. Hard to see the road out of someone else's windshield

I was referrng to the small store Pancho has in Ajijic not the new store or SL    SL and Pancho´s new stores have ok location except for the lack of parking at SL.. It is easier for me to go to SL so it will take for Pancho to have special items  for me to go but both locations seem ok  as far as location goes.

It's a store, not a restaurant, with benefits. Eventually, the new side will have all the other grocery items, like pet food, cleaning materials, paper towels from Costco, mops, etc.

Today Gossips was there dishing out some very tasty chicken picado, among other tasty things.

So, Alfa, why do you keep reading this thread if you find it so unpleasant?

Thanks to all who posted about Pancho's. What a nice thing to know there's a good grocery store in Riberas. I have used Abarottes del Pilar in a pinch as well as my local OXXO. but of course it's very limited. I'm going to check this out!!!

Alfa, why get your undies in a bundle. Folks in Riberas will be happy to see a close grocery option. Maybe go over there, have a beer and chill???

No, moderator isn't a friend or even acquaintance of Pancho and yes this thread probably belongs in La Cocina so I am moving it.  Speaking personally, I've noticed the community benefits from increased competition and choice in the retail sector. Truthfully, we hardly ever patronized SuperLake and probably won't be a big user of this store either.  We've developed a system of buying Mexican and supplementing that with trips to Costco and annually NOB.  

I'm in favour of keeping all the stores; more selection and the competition can only benefit us. El Torito's might have to "pull up it's sox"; it's gone downhill some since that was my local 10+ years ago. The new Riberas store looks promising and very modern but (sorry) Walmart will probably remain the closest thing to one-stop-shopping we have.  

Just got some killer chicken noodle soup from Ismat there; not cheap, but delicious and hot and perfect for a sick guy on a cold day. SO tempted to also get one of every hot dish on the guisados tray. The fruit section is growing fast. He is also already displaying reduced-cost special purchases of some pretty good looking candy snacks, etc.

Archived