Chapala.com Webboard

Pancho's Grand soft Opening

johanson

6 minutes ago, Alfa said:

Cmon moderator, isn't it about time you cut off all this free advertising for Pancho. I otice the GR also provided more free advertising in the form of an "article".

On the other hand...every time one of us gives a positive restaurant review, that's free advertising, and the same for any other product or event that's posted about.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alfa,

If you actually pay attention, most of the "helpful" posts are about someone looking for something and someone else telling them where to get it. Restaurant posts the same. Go back to bed.

I greatly appreciate the information provided here about Pancho's Deli. And I look forward for more interesting posts about is efforts. And I look forward to reading more in the future. I am sure that there is something bad to say that will be posted here to

Thank you Chapala Froum

This is everyone sharing their experience in helping a new business owner they care about. you right he is getting some advertising, but that not the issue for the posts.

we all want his business to survive, in this competitive market. The only can tell each other about our experiences at his new market is by this webboard.

I started shopping at panchos new store, spent $971 pesos this week, i will shop there for the next three months, just to help him start his business.

I had lunch there too,  bought a sandwich,  from his deli and sat outside on his tables

2 hours ago, Alfa said:

Cmon moderator, isn't it about time you cut off all this free advertising for Pancho. I otice the GR also provided more free advertising in the form of an "article".

Why not support local business? The whole expat community has been waiting for this opening. It's great for everyone.

Concerning the Guad Reporter, that's just silly. It's a human-interest story focused on a community business. One of the GR's reasons for existence is to focus on community. It's also big news. If you had any idea of the number of businesses that feel they deserve a whole article in the paper just because they've taken a 400 peso add, you would be shocked.

Pancho has a long history with many of us here. He has established personal relationships with so many of his customers who have supported him through his personal and professional ups and, sadly, downs. We are invested in him and his success. Those of us on the east end are also delighted to know we will not have to wrangle high season traffic to shop at his store. We are excited and happy for him and us. It seems petty and mean spirited to complain about that and try to get the thread locked down to stop what you call “free advertising.” I have a better solution for you: STOP READING THIS THREAD.

Then, ficklepie, you have no idea of the number of Mexican products in either store.

SuperLake was already established in January of 1996 although not, I think, in its current location since I remember it being much smaller. That's a long time business effort by a Mexican with Mexican employees. I applaud his success and wish him the very best. He understands service and customer appreciation.

That's quite the tantalizing endictment, fickle. Perhaps you didn't notice that half of SuperLake is local, in particular produce. A huge majority of products are Mexican-made.

Quite an odd statement, actually. When I lived in Canada, I was thrilled to see Mexican imports of masa flour, tomatillos, various fruits and vegetables, Mexican movie DVDs... not to mention a vast pile of electronics from Taiwan and China. Never once do I recall thinking "Damn them all, I'm only going to buy local!"

And of course here, Pancho's family is, um, Mexican, and grew that store from a vegetable stand. His sister still owns and runs Super Laura down near the San Antonio plaza.

SuperLake was at it's same location in 1996 but they "grew" the store to double in size in a later year.. You may remember the back was bumped out, flooring replaced and mass confusion as to where stuff could be found during the process.

Paz liquor store was also doubled in size and I do remember that originally the back wall was shelving with nothing but lampshades and that was the only place to buy them locally. (the clamp on type only - harps for lamps were not to be found.)

OMG! I really did walk from the Danza del Sol to that location then? But that was my scouting trip and we ended up living in San Miguel for nine years before the six years in San Pancho. Nothing even close to SuperLake in either location at that time. Time flies. Things change. Isn't it great to have such a wonderful option and choice.

15 minutes ago, bigd said:

Does he still plan on selling the same out of date merchandise that he sold at super lake??

Why don’t you go into his store and ask him? You know, face to face instead of anonymously making snide shots on a web board. 

3 hours ago, Xena said:

Why don’t you go into his store and ask him? You know, face to face instead of anonymously making snide shots on a web board. 

I did many times for many years he did not change anything  Been around here long enough to see the other side of his face.

We need another Salvador's we really do. But right now we are celebrating another Pancho's Deli. In fact, he (at one time) suggested opening a third store to the West of Ajijic and closing the small one next to the Pemex. By the way I stopped at the little Pancho's next to Pemex this morning. It wasn't as busy as it used to be but it still looked the same and I was able to pick up exactly what I needed very rapidly and move on, it was great.

One great thing about SuperLake, under Pancho, was his constant "end=of-shelf-life" specials. A couple of years ago he brought in what must've been an 18-wheeler of "about to expire" brand name crisps from up north for 25% of the price. Those puppies would've survived at least another year unopened.

My first reaction when I see a "reduced" sticker, if I am interested in the product, is to check the date, as gringal points out. And I have read scholarly articles that insist the "best buy" is a warning, and not in any way a firm date, for anything that is not considered fresh food.

LOL. Yes, it is the "best before" date not the "goes rotten on" date. And, if you're smart, you're never going to buy a package of anything that has lost its vacuum even if it is before the "before" date.

It's also possible to have wonderful "best before" dates... but the product has been recalled... such as this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2018/10/22/mccain-foods-recall-2018-harris-teeter-7-eleven-tacquitos-trader-joes/1727802002/

Good  point Pancho does not let expired food on his shelves

Was just in there the other day, and one person said they were restocking on all their spices at home.   since pancho has all new spices on his rack for sale

good idea i need to replace a few in my spice draw.

just looked in my spice date , i need to put a date on the new ones i buy

I have seen out of code product in almost every store I have ever been in regardless of country. After the suggested date it is not bad, just not as good tasting as when newer. It is up to the customer to check what they are buying, being it fresh produce or canned/boxed goods. That is where, "Buyer beware", falls in, whether it be food, clothing a car, house whatever. One always checks the tomatoes, no?

Archived