Chapala.com Webboard
lumieretoo

Telmex Arcadyan Modem questions

Telmex replaced my fried Huawei modem with an Arcadyan VRV9506Jac23.  This new modem has 2 bands 2.4 and 5. The technician took the box and left no instructions.  It is easy to use but why 2 bands?

20181010_152944.jpg

Not that is that important but it is 2.4 and 5. Sorry as I sit here at the airport flying back to Lake Chapala, I can not help you but I bet Mike the Computer guy can.

I hope that it continues to work for you. You probably were given a USED modem by the Telmex office here. That's why he didn't leave the box...

• Sad 1

Many devices cannot receive the 5.0 GHz wireless band. Here's the difference: 2.4 GHz sends the signal a longer distance, 5.0 sends a shorter distance but provides a "fatter" pipeline. So if you are streaming lots of videos to your phone or tablet, for example, and near enough to the modem, it can be helpful. If you are out on the deck or somewhere, you'll want to use the 2.0.

Here's what TelMex doesn't advertise: the 5.0 band is not fully supported by TellMex infrastructure, and therefore will never give the top speed for which your service is rated. For example, I get 40 mbps down, and the 5.0 only provides me with something over 20. If your top speed is only 8 or 10, this may not make much difference to you.

If your device is capable of receiving dual band, you will see two distinct connection options when you hook up a device to WiFi: one that says Infinitum xxx 2_4 and one saying Infinitum xxx 5_0.