Chapala.com Webboard

Anti Plastic law passed. Everybody help

sm1mex

There are so many plastic grocery bags and Styrofoam take out boxes that are not biodegradable.  Please do your part and use a washable, cloth tote bag for your groceries (they sell them at WalMart,) and also take with you a to-go Tupperware type container when you eat out and expect to take left overs home with you.  We have been using the tote bags for years for groceries and now started to take our own to go containers for restaurant take out.  One restaurant gave everyone who had their own take out container free dessert. !  Please help decrease plastic.

Banning plastic is just a small part of what we need to do for the earth, but it's a good start.  But what about products like Zip-Loc bags and plastic garbage bags?  And disposable cups?  The worst offender is all the plastic packaging on items.  Will most of these companies start making their products out of biodegradable materials?  I don't think they will.   I remember someone saying that they got a paper straw, but it was wrapped in plastic.  Big fail!

I've been using the reusable and washable veggie/fruit bags and they work great. Clerk can see through them and they have an easy slide closure.  They wash great and dry super fast.  I need to buy some small biodegradable bags for trash container in kitchen.  I think I saw those on Amazon.  I have the stainless straws and I keep a divided togo container in the car. My little effort is not much but a whole bunch of us doing just a little will help.

Last night a restaurant charged a friend 6 pesos for a takeout container.  I had my own plastic box, so didn't pay to bring food home. I think 6 pesos is a very reasonable price, but maybe raising the price would be more of an incentive to bringing your own box, just in case you'll need it.

On 10/10/2018 at 2:42 PM, sm1mex said:

There are so many plastic grocery bags and Styrofoam take out boxes that are not biodegradable.  Please do your part and use a washable, cloth tote bag for your groceries (they sell them at WalMart,) and also take with you a to-go Tupperware type container when you eat out and expect to take left overs home with you.  We have been using the tote bags for years for groceries and now started to take our own to go containers for restaurant take out.  One restaurant gave everyone who had their own take out container free dessert. !  Please help decrease plastic.

When did that Jalisco bill get passed and do you have the text or citation?

Interesting. Well, I have yet to see a "tax" cause people to change their habits. Doesn't work for gas and cigarettes. Didn't work in Mexico for soft drinks. Won't work for containers, but it will put extra money in certain pockets.

The Jalisco anti plastic law passed information is in this weeks reporter on the front page.

When in Europe and other countries, they have stopped giving plastic bags in stores.  If you don't have your own bag to carry your stuff, you have to carry it in your hands.  Hence, everyone has a bag with them.

If the stores do have plastic bags, they charge for each bag.  This has cut the use of plastic bags to almost -0-.

1 minute ago, ComputerGuy said:

Interesting. Well, I have yet to see a "tax" cause people to change their habits. Doesn't work for gas and cigarettes. Didn't work in Mexico for soft drinks. Won't work for containers, but it will put extra money in certain pockets.

How will this not change habits when plastic bags are no longer available to buy?  There's a difference.  Cigarettes and soft drinks continued to be available.  They just started costing more (and more).

Good news.  We went to Adelita's today and they have changed to paper take out containers.  also we saw more people with their own Tupperware type containers.  I was also told the Brew House has changed to paper take out containers.  Complying with the anti plastic law.

It is a start to educate about the harmful plastics that usually ends up in the lakes or oceans, deadly to marine life.

I totally understand the threat of plastics on the environment, but I'm also old enough to remember not too long ago everyone was, "Save the trees! Don't use paper! The 'paperless office' is the future!".

The only constant is change.

How long until it changes to something else?

12 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I totally understand the threat of plastics on the environment, but I'm also old enough to remember not too long ago everyone was, "Save the trees! Don't use paper! The 'paperless office' is the future!".

The only constant is change.

How long until it changes to something else?

Don't "save the trees" they were raised for just that purpose. Most of the paper is made from pine tree plantations raised to sell to paper companies. Could be made from hemp just as well.

2 minutes ago, geeser said:

Don't "save the trees" they were raised for just that purpose. Most of the paper is made from pine tree plantations raised to sell to paper companies. Could be made from hemp just as well.

I think you missed my point. 

In Seattle one can not use plastic sacks or bags, and we have to buy paper bags for 25 cents per bag or bring our own.  And it is working. We keep on using the same bags many times over until they wear out. The bags then go into the recycle bin which in our condo is picked up weekly. (We fill 3 to 4 large bins per week for a 120 unit condo).

On 10/12/2018 at 9:17 AM, gringal said:

How will this not change habits when plastic bags are no longer available to buy?  There's a difference.  Cigarettes and soft drinks continued to be available.  They just started costing more (and more).

Purple garlic charges 10 pesos for a cardboard container. They never used plastic. No one uses plastic for pizza. So when you think about it, it's not even a tax. It's a money-grab.

And geeser, I would really like to believe what you say, but I sure would like some sources. Over the years, I've heard/seen lots of reports on this kind of self-sustaining program, but they generally end up saying "not nearly enough".

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2018 at 11:53 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Purple garlic charges 10 pesos for a cardboard container. They never used plastic. No one uses plastic for pizza. So when you think about it, it's not even a tax. It's a money-grab.

And geeser, I would really like to believe what you say, but I sure would like some sources. Over the years, I've heard/seen lots of reports on this kind of self-sustaining program, but they generally end up saying "not nearly enough".

@ComputerGuy We actually did have plastic containers in the beginning for other to go items on the menu besides pizza, but regardless of that, we charge for our boxes because we swtiched over to all eco-friendly or biodegrable containers and they are quite pricey compared to the other stuff! We do not add a charge for a box if you order delivery or takeout, only if you have dined in and need a box for leftovers. Its a little bit of help to curb the high cost of bio products. Even our *plastic* to go cups are biodegradble, we use avocado seed straws, to go containers for sauce/parmesan/pepper flakes -- all earth friendly. Definitely not a money grab since only a small portion of take out containers are used by dine-in customers. 

Thanks to the people doing these things!  Keep on posting, you are an inspiration!   It`s so great reading about people doing things with the intention of making the world a better place!  Thanks for your post, and continue keeping us informed, sm1mex!

Archived