Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
d-d

Uber from GDL

Recommended Posts

Monday we tried to use Uber from the airport to San Juan Cosala.  The driver accepted, but once we were in the car he told us that it was Uber policy that they only serve the Guadalajara metropolitan area and couldn't drive to Lake Chapala.  I wasn't surprised because last month our friend had a similar experience with an Uber driver that wanted cash payment in addition to the Uber fare.  The total would have been more than an airport taxi so he declined.  We took an airport taxi, which is now $650 (up $100 since August), instead of the $377 Uber price.  Then I was charged a cancellation fee, which Uber reversed this morning after I complained that it was the driver that canceled.

Is anyone else having this problem with Uber?  Should we just keep trying until we find a driver that will drive to Lake Chapala?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uber is rampant with rogue drivers. I sincerely doubt there is a "policy" like that; more likely, they just don't like driving "this far" with no return fare. The fee at the taxi stand inside the airport to Ajijic is a flat $420; someone else may be able to tell us if it costs more to go to San Juan. but I doubt it's $650.

Also, taking cash payment on top of the Uber fare is personal, not policy, and is another example of just how unregulated Uber is around here.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although, he tried to rip you off, the driver told you the truth. Uber has a written agreement negotiated between GDL government, taxi drivers and Uber to only service area he mentioned. This agreement stopped the damages, vehicle fires, rock throwing, etc. from taxi drivers to Uber drivers. Now, some rogue Uber drivers are violating that agreement. Rogue Uber drivers are the ones hanging around the airport and working in lakeside. They have no authorization to sell their services at either location. Uber is not supposed to be servicing lakeside which is why so few are here and many of them want you to call them directly so they can charge whatever they want and pocket the whole charge. They are the rogue Uber drivers. You got caught by one who is simply trying a new scam to get more money from you.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am confused. Did the OP use the Uber app to get a driver from the airport to SJC? If not, did the OP just flag down a driver by the airport? By whom were they given an “estimate” of 337 pesos to SJC if Uber does not service the lakeside area? I have never heard of Uber giving an estimate. I thought the appeal was you call, are told the fare, pay it on line, and your driver picks you up knowing where you are going and that fee has been paid. How do you go about “trying to find” a driver who will violate Uber agreements and drive them from the airport to SJC for less money than the regulated airport taxi service? Sounds cumbersome and risky. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Al, interested in the source of your info re the alleged negotiated agreement.  I’ve been reading articles, recent and past, and as well as Semov ....for an hour and find zip about Uber’s (real Uber’s with app etc) agreement not to work lakeside etc.  Also if there is such an agreement, why wouldn’t it cover the five metro areas ( Guad, Zapopan. Tlaquepaque, tonala and Tlajomulco de. Zuniga)?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A month ago we were having trouble getting a taxi from San Antonio plaza to Riberas and we called Uber and they sent a driver from the airport and only charged 35 pesos.  After arriving in Riberas we decided to go on to Chapala and we asked her to take us.  She said she had already clocked in so we had to call Uber again, luckily she got the call again and I think we only paid around another 35 pesos.  She, the driver said Uber was very strict and she could only carry us if Uber assigned her to the call.  By the same token our regular taxi driver said he almost got in a fight at Walmart.  He was waiting for pick ups when 3 men started passing out cards and saying they were Uber drivers.  He tried to tell people they were not Uber drivers because Uber drivers were not allowed to solicit business.  He said, he tried to tell people not to ride with them because it could be dangerous but several did any way.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bettinka said:

Al, interested in the source of your info re the alleged negotiated agreement.  I’ve been reading articles, recent and past, and as well as Semov ....for an hour and find zip about Uber’s (real Uber’s with app etc) agreement not to work lakeside etc.  Also if there is such an agreement, why wouldn’t it cover the five metro areas ( Guad, Zapopan. Tlaquepaque, tonala and Tlajomulco de. Zuniga)?

Probably  because they are within the Guadalajara Metropolitan Zone.  Chapala is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the four uber taxis currently showing on the uber app dont exist ?

 The six times i have used uber to and from lakeside in september and october ,using the app and paid direct to uber, not the driver , are all rogues?

I dont think so.

There is a new company servicing guadalajara called didi.seem cheaper, but not so many cars at the moment.

I dont know if they will come to lakeside yet.

Same idea as uber. Use an app and decide your preference for payment.

https://www.google.com.mx/amp/s/expansion.mx/empresas/2018/09/18/didi-crece-presion-sobre-uber-inicia-operaciones-en-guadalajara%3f_amp=true

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those "four" Uber drivers change more frequently than bag boys at WalMart.

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the case, just lazy driver who wants to extort more money.  They know where ride is before they accept.  Much fewer Uber cars in the Chapala area, yesterday tried for hours to get a ride from Chapala to GDL finally found one guy who accepted as he wanted to go back to Guad.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 11:39 AM, rafterbr said:

A month ago we were having trouble getting a taxi from San Antonio plaza to Riberas and we called Uber and they sent a driver from the airport and only charged 35 pesos.  After arriving in Riberas we decided to go on to Chapala and we asked her to take us.  She said she had already clocked in so we had to call Uber again, luckily she got the call again and I think we only paid around another 35 pesos.  She, the driver said Uber was very strict and she could only carry us if Uber assigned her to the call.  By the same token our regular taxi driver said he almost got in a fight at Walmart.  He was waiting for pick ups when 3 men started passing out cards and saying they were Uber drivers.  He tried to tell people they were not Uber drivers because Uber drivers were not allowed to solicit business.  He said, he tried to tell people not to ride with them because it could be dangerous but several did any way.

How does a person "call" Uber?  My app shows no phone number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uber does not have an initial contact telephone number.  You must go to the Uber app and enroll in the program before you can use it.  When enrolled you call their number they will tell you how much the charge is for your trip and will charge to your credit or debit card if you use them.  You do not pay the driver.  In looking at the area they service it includes the area from Chapala to Jocotepec.   When they dispatch a car you can track on your phone the car's journey to you.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You install the app.

Register with them how you want to pay.

Cash to the driver or credit card,or through PayPal. 

When you need a taxi select your destination.will show the price and availabilty.

Confirm, then you can message driver.they seem to have discontinued being able to phone him.

You then see where the uber is on your app.

When arrived at destination.either pay the cash or confirm with him that the job is finished and paid with your nominated card.

There is now an option to give the driver a tip if you use cc.

I have used uber frequently for nearly three years in various mexican cities, never had a problem, apart from Guadalajara..rude  ,wont take you to destination although they accepted it. Ask for more money than is quoted .etc etc.

If you dont use the app, they arent uber.simple.

Any rogues will probably not have any insurance cover either.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 5:30 PM, RVGRINGO said:

Probably  because they are within the Guadalajara Metropolitan Zone.  Chapala is not.

So you are saying that an agreement with Guadalajara covers the entire metro area?  Each, its own municipality... so did each of the five zones sign an agreement with Uber ....  I am well aware that Chapala is its own municipality and does not belong to the metropolitan area, but gee, thanks so much for the heads up.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just used an Uber on the 3rd of October from GDL to Ajijic.  Price was 277 MXN at 5:30am.

Used Uber for a couple trips to the airport last year and had great experiences...usually price was around 210 MXN.

Locally, it has been inexpensive and filling a need when taxi drivers were not available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uber,really? Are you all so indigent or just plain so tight that you squeak in your mansions on the hill? I and my guests have used my cab driver FRIEND for years. His expenses created by governments are astronomical including having to buy a new car [every 3 years?] He is always on time mostly early and generally performs above and beyond. PRICELESS!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Uber,really? Are you all so indigent or just plain so tight that you squeak in your mansions on the hill? I and my guests have used my cab driver FRIEND for years. His expenses created by governments are astronomical including having to buy a new car [every 3 years?] He is always on time mostly early and generally performs above and beyond. PRICELESS!!

 

Jonny: Get rid of this - your sock puppet. - very, very pathetic of you to attack all of us Expats this way. Resentment is eating  away at you it seems. Get over it if you can. You will get more likes if you are more honest and less if you are less honest. IMO. Smarten up old man!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Alan

I don't know where the moderators are these days, I sincerely hope they are enjoying this gorgeous weather. They would probably post this reminder in the forum rules:

Quote

Having multiple user names will result in immediate banning of poster.

Masking an IP address is a violation of the board rules.

No advertising is allowed, either in a post or in your signature file. Advertising in this matter will result in suspension of your account.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Jonny: Get rid of this - your sock puppet. - very, very pathetic of you to attack all of us Expats this way. Resentment is eating  away at you it seems. Get over it if you can. You will get more likes if you are more honest and less if you are less honest. IMO. Smarten up old man!

Don't give up your day job but do so if it involves speculation of any sort. Are you still in that fine mansion on the hill which you built a long time ago and bragged about how much cheaper it was there than here in Chapala. Why are you even on this site? It's nothing like the old Thorn Tree or Mexconnect. Golly, it looks like I need not concern myself on likes with only 17 posts and 12 likes. I believe i have chosen an appropriate handle to express my greetings to some posters on here but especially for you and some other pals of yours i dedicate George Formby's lovely little ditty along the same vein but dedicated to the male of the species who exhibit behavioural traits such as yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...