Chapala.com Webboard

How to call 1-800# with cell phone?

On 10/8/2018 at 1:09 PM, kgreenbury said:

I struggle with this every time because I rarely call long distance. Is there a prefix/code I need to add to call a Canadian 1-800 number?

I second the recommendation to use Skype.  It is easy to download either on a laptop or ipad.  Will save you a lot of hassles and cost.

This is what I use and it generally woks:

Calling from Mexico to US or Canadian Toll Free numbers:
For 800 numbers: Dial 001-880 & the seven digit number
For 866 numbers: Dial 001-883 & the seven digit number
For 877 numbers: Dial 001-882 & the seven digit number
For 888 numbers: Dial 001-881 & the seven digit number

23 minutes ago, Canada-Mike said:

This is what I use and it generally woks:

Calling from Mexico to US or Canadian Toll Free numbers:
For 800 numbers: Dial 001-880 & the seven digit number
For 866 numbers: Dial 001-883 & the seven digit number
For 877 numbers: Dial 001-882 & the seven digit number
For 888 numbers: Dial 001-881 & the seven digit number

Isn't that for a land line (TeImex)? I wonder if it is different for Telcel.

What Albert Mora posted above is absolutely true for TelCel. TelCel will not connect with a US 800 # (or any toll free variant). It doesn't matter if you dial from a TelCel # or roam on TelCel's system with a US phone. I have heard that is true for all cell systems  calling another country's  toll free #, but I have no first hand knowledge of that; ATT or Movistar may connect.

TelMex will connect to the correct substitute # as listed above, but it will not be free.

As stated above if you need to call a bank or credit card co. with a cell, you need to look up their international # on line

Check their listing # on Canada 411. That will give you a local Canadian number which is toll free from Mexico. Just dial 001 +10 digits. I use it all the time. Works for both landline and cell. I call Canada on a weekly basis. Works for the US also but not the Canada 411 part.

1 hour ago, dave0415 said:

Check their listing # on Canada 411. That will give you a local Canadian number which is toll free from Mexico. Just dial 001 +10 digits. I use it all the time. Works for both landline and cell. I call Canada on a weekly basis. Works for the US also but not the Canada 411 part.

That is interesting-I've never heard of that but will have to try it.

1 minute ago, cedros said:

That is interesting-I've never heard of that but will have to try it.

Okay the most likely number I would call in Canada is that for MasterCard but I don't see it on Canada 411. The numbers on my Canadian MC don't work from here. 

19 hours ago, cedros said:

Okay the most likely number I would call in Canada is that for MasterCard but I don't see it on Canada 411. The numbers on my Canadian MC don't work from here. 

If your Mastercard is through one of the Canadian banks, just go to the bank's website.  They have direct numbers (usually their head office in Toronto).  Just dial 001, the area code and number.  Telcel has free calling to Mexico, U.S. and Canada.

It is through a Canadian bank but the numbers on their website don't work toll free from Mexico. You have to try and make a collect call but there sometimes is no one there to accept collect. So just don't use the toll free numbers I guess. Dial direct. I tried that this afternoon but I was forced to go to live chat which went on for an hour.

15 hours ago, cedros said:

It is through a Canadian bank but the numbers on their website don't work toll free from Mexico. You have to try and make a collect call but there sometimes is no one there to accept collect.

I call the Bank of Nova Scotia quite often, using their direct Toronto phone number.  I just dial 001-416-and the seven digit number.  I've never been charged long-distance on my Telcel bill.

4 hours ago, suegarn said:

I call the Bank of Nova Scotia quite often, using their direct Toronto phone number.  I just dial 001-416-and the seven digit number.  I've never been charged long-distance on my Telcel bill.

So just ignore the 800 numbers then.

Archived