Chapala.com Webboard

Chocastes

cedros

Sometimes the slang used on Facebook really confuses me. What does "Chocastes" mean. I think they are referring to a vehicle.

The verb Chocar gets used frequently in my neighborhood.  Any sort of crashing into something, people, cars, etc.  Today, for example, yo choqué con un letrero y caí en mi espalda en el malecón.  It's the truth.  My Spanish isn't perfect, but I think that would get the meaning across that when I was walking on the malecón this morning here in San Juan, I was lost in thought and power-walked my face into a sign and fell backwards onto the cement.  Ow!  Only a little blood, but a real "wake-up" to watch where I'm going.

• 4 months later...

¡Ay mis ojos!, NO no, it's not chocastes (with and ending 's'), that's awful grammar, the correct term is chocaste, without that s. It happens that most people mispronounce the second person of singular of past tense verbs conjugations adding that dreaded 's', which sounds terrible, and denotes poor education.

On 3/8/2019 at 10:18 AM, Olegario said:

¡Ay mis ojos!, NO no, it's not chocastes (with and ending 's'), that's awful grammar, the correct term is chocaste, without that s. It happens that most people mispronounce the second person of singular of past tense verbs conjugations adding that dreaded 's', which sounds terrible, and denotes poor education.

Precisely.  

Archived