Chapala.com Webboard

Seventy is not the new sixty. Just ask my body

Alpha1

I'm 74 in two weeks.  I work out 6 days per week, 3 at the gym in Plaza Bugambillas, 3 on a life cycle.  I do pretty much everything I used to including riding a full sized motorcycle on extended distances.  It is a proven fact you don't have to get weak when you get old.  I notice few people in my generation at the gym.  The ones who are are like me.  We all have our aches and pains but we don't let it stop us.

I may not live any longer but I should be less limited in the mean time.  Cardio will help you live longer but strength training is for the here and now. 

That gym has everything for strength and/or cardio training.  It works, give it a go!  There are several trainers there who are fluent in English and knowledgeable about training for older people.  I suggest either Eddie or Kim.

24 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I'm 74 in two weeks.  I work out 6 days per week, 3 at the gym in Plaza Bugambillas, 3 on a life cycle.  I do pretty much everything I used to including riding a full sized motorcycle on extended distances.  It is a proven fact you don't have to get weak when you get old.  I notice few people in my generation at the gym.  The ones who are are like me.  We all have our aches and pains but we don't let it stop us.

I may not live any longer but I should be less limited in the mean time.  Cardio will help you live longer but strength training is for the here and now. 

That gym has everything for strength and/or cardio training.  It works, give it a go!  There are several trainers there who are fluent in English and knowledgeable about training for older people.  I suggest either Eddie or Kim.

I play table tennis 3 times a week, and it is a complete workout, including the mind. Nothing better for preventing dementia than table tennis. 

56 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

That will be the place with really loud music that disturbs the neighbours then.

I noticed the music was quite loud in the morning, but when I would return for lunch on the first floor at Salvador's or Chopsticks that the volume was not noticeable around noon.  Someone said the noise was turned down before about 10 AM.

When is the music loud?  Only in the early morning?

18 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

I'm told it is loud in the morning.  I work out mid afternoon.  Not a problem then.

I think the loud music goes with some of the exercise classes.  Amazing people can't work out without being deafened.  :)

Ah, but they are already deaf therefore they have to play it loud so that they can hear it! 😉 

• 2 weeks later...

I´m 90. Play a decent game of tennis (doubles) 2 hrs. for  3 or 4 times a week. Have not  been to a gym or any kind of work-out area for at least 25 years. eat what I like; drink regularly; occasionally smoke a cigar or pipe. Sleep 7-8 hours a night;do normal household chores (no more roof visits), help take care of my semi- paralyzed wife; for the past 5 years travelled to France or Italy with her and daughters for 2 week stays. Admittedly, have household helpers  to help care for my wife;cooking; cleaning;laundry etc.

Maybe I´m the proverbial exception that proves the rule. 😄

Yes they are exceptions who are hard of hearing like they were in their 30´s... funny how people can fool themselves. Although it is true that some people stay more mobile than others  we all age like it or not.. Go out with young people hiking n the woods at high altitude and see how your old body like it.. My mother is 96 , lives by herself and is dong well but she is not 80 or 70 and even less 60, she is a 96 year old doing well nothing more nothing les and she is lucky.

Yes the ones that are dong well are lucky but they too will die soon, let´s not kid ourselves.

Archived