Chapala.com Webboard

The only brand that I buy is LaLa. It is available in Walmart. The 900 g. container is blue and white and clearly states on the side SIN AZUCAR (without sugar) in large letters. It is tart in flavor. I add unsweetened naturally grated coconut to it and let it soften for 24 hours in the refrigerator before using it. I got hung up on the coco rallado (shredded coconut) version of another yogurt and was appalled when I read (with my magnifying glass) the sugar content. Works for me.

4 minutes ago, Ferret said:

The only brand that I buy is LaLa. It is available in Walmart. The 900 g. container is blue and white and clearly states on the side SIN AZUCAR (without sugar) in large letters. It is tart in flavor. I add unsweetened naturally grated coconut to it and let it soften for 24 hours in the refrigerator before using it. I got hung up on the coco rallado (shredded coconut) version of another yogurt and was appalled when I read (with my magnifying glass) the sugar content. Works for me.

I got something at Walmart some time ago that clearly stated "no azucar" but when I took my magnifying glass and looked at the ingredients, it contained artificial sweetener. Just saying.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sin Azucar Lala doesn't have any artificial sweeteners. But I'm not crazy about the texture, very gelatiney. I prefer Alpura sin Azucar. But the best I've found is Flor de Alfafa brand. They sell it at Costco, but it only comes in a gallon container, so unless you go through a lot of yoguhrt or can split it with a friend, it's a lot. But it is made from organic milk, and bacterial culture, no sugar, no gelatin, no preservatives. Real yoghurt. They also recently started selling it in litre sizes at Mega in Bucerias, don't know about in your area. But like a lot of things at Mega, sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't, sometimes they have 30 tubs of the plain, sometimes 30 tubs of the ones with fruit and sugar added, and not one plain one.

This store has the best and most interesting yogurt starters. I was reluctant to order before, because many of their starters were liquid based, which Mexican customs does not like. But now they seem to have more dried cultures. I love the tangy, richness of Bulgarian yogurt. I anybody wants to share an order, PM me and we can make it happen.

http://store.organic-cultures.com/datystcukebu.html

On 10/16/2018 at 12:28 AM, mudgirl said:

The Sin Azucar Lala doesn't have any artificial sweeteners. But I'm not crazy about the texture, very gelatiney. I prefer Alpura sin Azucar. But the best I've found is Flor de Alfafa brand. They sell it at Costco, but it only comes in a gallon container, so unless you go through a lot of yoguhrt or can split it with a friend, it's a lot. But it is made from organic milk, and bacterial culture, no sugar, no gelatin, no preservatives. Real yoghurt. They also recently started selling it in litre sizes at Mega in Bucerias, don't know about in your area. But like a lot of things at Mega, sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't, sometimes they have 30 tubs of the plain, sometimes 30 tubs of the ones with fruit and sugar added, and not one plain one.

I agree, Flor de Alfalfa is the best yoghurt sold in big supermarkets.  Real yoghurt, as you said.  Super texture, super flavor, no sugar in the 'plain' variety.  

Danone Vitalinea is now making sugar-free yoghurt.  I bought 900ml of the sugar-free strawberry the other day and it's okay.   It's not as good or as natural as Flor de Alfalfa, but it will do in a pinch. 

• 2 weeks later...

I made our yogurt for years and it was much better than any store bought product.  For starter, I did just buy a good plain yogurt and used part of it.  Making yogurt is very simple, then I would strain it until it reached a consistency we liked.  This how Greek Yogurt is made and is just strained for a longer time to achieve a thicker consistency.  One trick I did also use was to add powdered milk to it when being made.  I would use our crock pot as a vessel to make it(of course, do not turn it on) due to its convenient size and thermal quality and cover with towels to maintain the temperature. 

Archived