Chapala.com Webboard

Information on Driver's license renewal

Taaffe

Just renewed mine in September with Luzma Grande 333-452-1670. We left her office at 9:45 am and I was back home just after noon. She drove me to the Tlaquepaque office, directed me as to where to start and drove me back. She also told me what info to take with me and checked it all before we left. Worth the 1200 pesos  to me for the facilitation. BTW, if using a Telmex bill to show residence, the bill must have ALL the pages for that month.

• Like 1

Original and copy of each of the following plus your INAPAM if you are asking for the 50% discount. Went to Plaza Las Torres two weeks ago and there was almost no line.

Passport (as oficial photo ID), CURP, official INM doc (front and back on same sheet), expiring license, blood type, Telmex or CFE (all pages, no online printout), 

From the website: https://tramites.jalisco.gob.mx/tramite/9017

• Clave Única de Registro de Población (CURP)

Tipo de documento: Comprobante
    Presentación: Original y copia
    Descripción del documento: Documento CURP impreso de manera individual, o presentar Acta de Nacimiento que contenga clave CURP.
  • Licencia

Tipo de documento: Licencia
    Presentación: Original
    Descripción del documento: Licencia de conducir vencida de chofer del Estado de Jalisco, o en caso de robo o extravío de la misma presentar Certificación de Licencia emitido por el Registro Estatal de la Secretaría de Movilidad (SEMOV), para información sobre el trámite de certificación ingresa al siguiente URL https://tramites.jalisco.gob.mx/tramite/8193.
  • Comprobante de domicilio

Descripción del documento: Comprobante de domicilio del Estado de Jalisco no mayor a 90 días de vigencia, a nombre del solicitante o familiar directo (coincida uno de sus apellidos), o en su defecto, el domicilio coincida con el que se tiene registrado en el IFE o INE. Si el comprobante está a nombre del cónyuge o suegros presentar acta de matrimonio o acta de nacimiento de hijo. En caso de no contar con ninguno de lo señalado, podrá presentar carta de residencia del Ayuntamiento en donde viva, a su nombre, con fotografía; firmada por el Secretario General del Ayuntamiento.
  • Tipo de sangre

Tipo de documento: Grupo sanguíneo
    Presentación: Original
    Descripción del documento: Conocer su tipo de sangre o en caso de no saberlo puede realizarse una prueba en el Laboratorio ubicado en las instalaciones de esta Secretaría, en el patio de Licencias.
  • Documento migratorio vigente

Descripción del documento: En caso de ser extranjero presentar pasaporte vigente y Forma Migratoria FM2, FM3 vigente o Carta de Legal Residencia. En caso de ser extranjero que obtuvo la nacionalidad mexicana presentar Carta de Naturalización, Matrícula Consular, identificación mexicana IFE, INE o pasaporte mexicano, vigente.
  • Identificación oficial con fotografía

Descripción del documento: Identificación oficial con fotografía vigente: INE, IFE, cédula profesional, pasaporte, cartilla militar liberada. En caso de ser extranjero (no nacionalizado) pasaporte y FM2 o FM3. En caso de ser extranjero (nacionalizado) IFE o INE , pasaporte mexicano, matrícula consular o carta de naturalización.

15 hours ago, Ferret said:

BTW, if using a Telmex bill to show residence, the bill must have ALL the pages for that month.

I LOVE this bit. (Yes I need to renew, yes it's already expired, yes I'm paying attention.)

It makes complete sense since your name only appears on page one. They must need to know your calling history to see if you can drive. (Sarcasm alert! B))

Whatever....bring the beast what it wants. Thanks, Ferret.

• Haha 1

We take people in every few weeks, usually 1 -4 people, smaller groups and if we leave by 8.30 or so we are back by a bit after 12ish

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 8:11 AM, Ferret said:

Just renewed mine in September with Luzma Grande 333-452-1670. We left her office at 9:45 am and I was back home just after noon. She drove me to the Tlaquepaque office, directed me as to where to start and drove me back. She also told me what info to take with me and checked it all before we left. Worth the 1200 pesos  to me for the facilitation. BTW, if using a Telmex bill to show residence, the bill must have ALL the pages for that month.

11 hours ago, Intercasa said:

We take people in every few weeks, usually 1 -4 people, smaller groups and if we leave by 8.30 or so we are back by a bit after 12ish

How much do you charge for this service?

We charge 750 or 800 pesos per person plus license fees.  I do it as a service for clients and try to charge what a taxi would charge to go to Guad and back.

Well hey you can offer the service, hire a car, review documents, have the car wait an hour or two, translate, etc.  If there is just one person we take a loss.  God forbid we actually make money and not lose it.  

Yes hire a taxi or driver like the one that screwed up a clients papers at the SAT office, he paid taxi rates and got taxi brains.  Then the mess had to be cleaned up.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I've renewed my MX driver's license 3 times and it was super easy.  You don't need to speak Spanish.  I'm renewing my license in a couple of weeks, and you are welcome to ride with me.  I'm going anyhow, so there's no charge.  My car holds 5.  Just make certain that you have all of the necessary documents outlined above, and a copy.  You don't need to bring photos as they take them there.  If you have an Inapam card, bring that and you'll get half off.  I'll check your documents  before we leave.  If you want to come with me, please drop me a PM and we'll settle on a date.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the input.  An added note is that the office is easy to find.  It is in the Plaza de Torres across from the tall IMSS Hospital on Lazaro Cardenas as you come into the city from Chapala.  You take 8 Julio exit and park in the plaza's lot, go up a short flight of stairs and there it is.  I didn't need my inapam card to get a discount, and if any of your paperwork is off, you can go downstairs to the cyber (internet store) and the young man there will find and print your CFE bill, CURP, or make photocopies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2018 at 8:02 AM, gringal said:

What do we need for evidence of blood type for license renewal?( It's on the back of the current Jalisco drivers license. Is that enough?)

For my renewal, I didn't take proof of blood type since  mine also appears on the previous licenses.

On 10/5/2018 at 12:03 AM, Travis said:

I LOVE this bit. (Yes I need to renew, yes it's already expired, yes I'm paying attention.)

It makes complete sense since your name only appears on page one. They must need to know your calling history to see if you can drive. (Sarcasm alert! B))

How do I get an original copy of Telmex? Asked 4 years ago for one and was told they cannot do it since I get mine online. They say if they print it out for me it would be the same as what I print out on my computer, CATCH22?

We hired Luzma Grande, the facilitator, to take us.  She gave us the list of what was needed for renewal.  We left her office at 9 a.m., went to Tlaquepaque's small office where the pleasant ladies went over our papers and without needing our Inapam cards, gave us the discount automatically since our ages are on the old license as well as blood type and we were back home by noon.

Easy peasy.  Luzma charges 800 pesos per person and is a very good driver.  I recommend this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

How can one obtain a Mexican license without having to take driving tests, etc?  We have our US licenses.

From what I understand, the first time a person applies for a Mexican license, tests are mandatory: both written, driving and eye tests.  Having a U.S. license isn't considered.  The parking test is considered the hardest.  I'd suggest starting the process with a local "facilitator" or Spencer McMullen, the attorney in Chapala.

• Sad 1

Only in Jalisco do you have to take a driving test for a Mexican License when you have a valid driving license from NOB. And only in Jalisco do you have to take a driving test when you have a Mexican License from another state. They are a law unto themselves.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Only in Jalisco do you have to take a driving test for a Mexican License when you have a valid driving license from NOB. And only in Jalisco do you have to take a driving test when you have a Mexican License from another state. They are a law unto themselves.

Yes, they are.  Four years ago when we renewed the licenses issued to us in SMA, we didn't have to take a driving test; just an eye exam. This was before they closed the Chapala office.  I understand this has changed...for the worst.

Not sure where people get their information. I received my new Jalisco license about 3 weeks ago. No eye test, no driving test because I have a valid license from the US, written test consisting of identifying 10 road signs.  I stated my blood type and no proof was needed. In and out in under 2 hours. 

• Sad 1

From personal experience? It happened to both my husband and myself ... we BOTH had valid Nayarit licenses and were told we had to take the driving test to get Jalisco licenses. Of course, that was OUR experience at the CHAPALA licensing office in 2014.

If YOUR recent experience was different then it is a step in a better direction.

On 10/5/2018 at 12:03 AM, Travis said:

It's like when I've had to bring in copies of every page in my passport, even though it was a new passport and 20 of the pages were blank.

• Haha 1