Chapala.com Webboard

Need repair person for instant-on water heater

Me being one of them. These heaters need maintenance just like others. I have already changed the batteries which is always the first thing to do. Interestingly enough, I can now hear my small igoto pump working again and now have on demand hot water again. I think it may have "drowned" in the last big rain. It's under my tinaco but I think I need to protect it from driving sideways rain.

I would still like to know the name of a knowledgeable repair person though.

Intermittent problems like that are a real pain, because you know it will fail again when you need it most. No answers to this thread other than Tom, and we've followed similar threads for years. No one appears to have the skills necessary to be recommended, at least amongst those who frequent this Board.

That's because every single plumber I've had here is self-taught or learned from Papa. And none has taken training in boilers, and the variety of same. And that leaves us with people checking for blockages and replacing thermostats all the time. Now, it seems, I will be getting a pass-through, but I won't have it installed until I can find a trained soul for the problems that will undoubtedly come.

Did anyone come up with the name of a plumber that can repair instant on (on demand) water heaters? Mine is an Lenisco brand.

People on this board have been asking for years. And no one has ever been able to provide an answer. I've gone though 7 or 8 myself... none properly trained. All just guessing at the problem. And wanting to replace expensive parts, half the time without even looking at it.

My "smart" plumber from Jocotepec finally showed up today. He said I needed a new thermostat. He is coming back Wednesday with a new one. I wonder if it will solve the problem. I have to do something as I really do need hot water in the house.

Correction. All the plumber tried on his first visit was to drain a bit of water off from the reservoir on the bottom. He said dirt builds up here sometimes. Well the heater has worked fine since this so I'll hold off on a new thermostat.

It seems that these on demand water heaters are the most problematic way to heat water. Given the many issues people post about and the apparent lack of any qualified repair people I am surprised that so many people continue to have them installed. 

They occupy far less space and use way less gas. They work very well IF you have access to a good installer and good maintenance person. That is why I will be buying a Bosch from Tio Sam's when this one (Cinsa) fails.

I guess I have a slanted perspective because all I ever hear about are the people having problems with them and being unable to find anyone who can fix them. I assume Tio Sam’s provides service for units it sells and installs. About how much does the on-demand heater cost to buy? Are there ongoing maintenance costs?

It depends on the brand. Mine, a Cinsa, was 2500 pesos but I'm still at 60% gas after filling the new 180 litre tank LAST November. A single person household but use the stove daily, the gas dryer three times a week and the hot water daily. Yes, Tio Sam's has service personnel to contact for them. Maintenance should be done once a year.

I have heard that the brand that gives you least amount problems, is Bosch. Previous posts over the years on this topic seemed to always put Bosch at the top of the list for quality and reliability.  It seems that this is the only brand mentioned these days.

5 hours ago, Wefferr2 said:

Call Carlos Ramirez 333 903 5891. He is a plumber and electrician. He installed our replacement Bosch tankless with out a hitch. His prices are reasonable.

Many are quite capable of installation. Service issues, not so much.

5 hours ago, johanson said:

I have heard that the brand that gives you least amount problems, is Bosch. Previous posts over the years on this topic seemed to always put Bosch at the top of the list for quality and reliability.  It seems that this is the only brand mentioned these days.

I was told by 2 "master plumbers" that CALOREX is the Cadillac of these types of boilers.

Thanks for the input, Jim.  I am no expert on this subject. Rather I was just repeating what I had heard over the years in conversations and posts like this which have been on line in this and other forums. I am glad to hear of another recommended brand, CALOREX.

17 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Had three Calorex. No one could service them properly. I think they are more the "everyman" as opposed to the Cadillac.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:35 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Intermittent problems like that are a real pain, because you know it will fail again when you need it most. No answers to this thread other than Tom, and we've followed similar threads for years. No one appears to have the skills necessary to be recommended, at least amongst those who frequent this Board.

That's because every single plumber I've had here is self-taught or learned from Papa. And none has taken training in boilers, and the variety of same. And that leaves us with people checking for blockages and replacing thermostats all the time. Now, it seems, I will be getting a pass-through, but I won't have it installed until I can find a trained soul for the problems that will undoubtedly come.

I will be getting OR had three? I think you just run off at the mouth sometimes ! :D

Archived