Chapala.com Webboard

FORBIDDEN FRUIT

gringal

Political discourse / opinion / discussion doesn't appear to be in violation of the posted board rules, and by the activity, it appears to be a subject of interest to many.     

Maybe the sticky was removed.  I thought it used to be verboten, and if it isn't, it SHOULD be, IMO. It brings out the worst in people.  If you doubt that, check out the news from the U.S.A.  Each side is shouting; not just talking.  TOB at least confines it to a section which non members can't read.I suggest the "powers that be" here set up a members only section if they want this sort of thing. I don't think potential residents will be so eager to move here if they read what people who are already here can be like.

I have very strong opinions myself, but more common sense than to suppose I can convert others by getting on a soap box and yelling about how right I am or how wrong they are.

Bless you, Gringal... I couldn't have stated it better... since we appear to have no governors on our mouths when we get into political particulars. 

40 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Even paradise has a few jackasses (I haven't read above named thread so I can be unbiased.)  Anyone who doesn't accept that should move to Disneyland not here.

I think one should read the thread before coming to conclusions.

Thread was locked.  Seems impossible to have any discussion of this type without the usual TDS and anti-American vitriol from a few Canadians and some others who can't accept the results of a Constitutionally valid election.  It would have been great if we could have had an adult conversation of the pros and cons of the deal itself.  Reading the Mexican press they seem pretty satisfied with it.  So are the Americans apparently.  If it works it could put a stop to national and international companies coming here and paying starvation wages to skilled and semiskilled labor.  A little reading on the gross poverty of the maquiladora towns really makes one appreciate why, for disparate reasons, both the U.S. and the incoming AMLO government had this as a high priority.  

Unfortunately I doubt you can go to TOB and get anything other than the usual one sided bias and TDS vitriol combines with nasty personal attacks on anyone who dares express a point of view different from those.  I'm afraid, Gringal, you are out of luck on this though I share your wish it could be otherwise.  The sponsors of this board have no interest whatsoever in opening up an "Octagon" can of worms here.  

Yeah, but the problem in this case was a blatant troll supporting Trump. That's not the way to start a conversation. It could just as easily have been a blatant troll supporting Sanders. It's still no way to start a conversation.

5 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Yeah, but the problem in this case was a blatant troll supporting Trump. That's not the way to start a conversation. It could just as easily have been a blatant troll supporting Sanders. It's still no way to start a conversation.

A troll is a troll, no matter who they support.  I've noticed some posters sort of "sneaking" in their biases all the time, any chance they get, on many threads.  Who needs the aggravation?

What I would like to see most of all is a ban on political discussions, period.  People get emotional rather than reasonable and can't seem to stop themselves from getting very snarky, very fast. I don't really want to see an "Octagon" here.  One per area is more than enough.

36 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

And a bunch more attacking him starting with the sideways slap in the opening post.  Miss that part?

That's what trolling is all about. To get a reaction, plain and simple. And it usually works. No, I didn't miss that part. That's why I called it out for what it was.

2 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

That's what trolling is all about. To get a reaction, plain and simple. And it usually works. No, I didn't miss that part. That's why I called it out for what it was.

So, are political discussions allowed or not? And if not, why is it not stated in the rules?

45 minutes ago, Xena said:

I guess this way discussions can be allowed as long as they go the right way. 

And what way would that be Xena? Facts and links don't seem to have much sway in discussions on this forum. Do NOT answer my question please.

Archived