Chapala.com Webboard

El Cartero

Hector had a 100% increase in the price of his veal shanks for Osso Bucco. When he asked why , he was told the dollar. Not reasonable ,but, true. To have a complete three course holiday dinner belly buster for 13 dollars is a buy you can't find .

I've noticed that even Elegante, I believe, uses pork instead of veal for shank and milanesa

Hector had a 100% increase in the price of his veal shanks for Osso Bucco. When he asked why , he was told the dollar. Not reasonable ,but, true. To have a complete three course holiday dinner belly buster for 13 dollars is a buy you can't find .

I've been living in pesos for 17 years. Sadly we are in a tourist area and the area lives in dollars as do its' suppliers When I bought a car in Guad the salesman was quick to tell me how cheap the car was in dollars. I told him "yes, but, sadly I am paying in pesos I converted at ten not 20". Not nice but reality.

It's still my paradise despite all its' warts!

That may be fine for those with a nice fat U.S. dollar pension or corporate pension. It's pointless for those who have no reason to convert, on many levels. Local prices are local prices and the only link they have to NOB is the impact any new tariffs or taxes might have. But around here they are pushed up constantly because of the expat situation, which makes much of the entertainment and eating-out scene restricted and out-of-reach for villagers. Consider that you would be hard-pressed to find a Mexican buying the day's four stacks of tortillas at 15p a kilo to feed the family, thinking "Wow, that's only three bucks! Isn't that great?"

Archived