Chapala.com Webboard

Buying a mexican plated car

telcoman

I spend 6 months a year in Mexico in an RV. In June I had a severe rollover which destroyed my truck & Trailer, I now have a class C. That brings up the issue of transport while in Mexico. I was thinking of trying to buy a used car. i ma not sure I can do that and insure it without residente status. Permanente is out as I will not be able to bring my RV in. My brother in law lives full time in Bucerias. He has residente permanente and would store & use this vehicle in summer when I am not around. If I have him buy & insure it, does anyone know if I will be able to drive it in winter without issues. I will obviously cover the purchase cost & annual insurance, etc. Or am I able to co -own it with him without residente status?

• 3 weeks later...

This is a popular topic and has been discussed before. You might want to do a search because there are certain exceptions where a person with a Permanente can drive a foreign plated car. Trouble is I did not pay attention, something about a car owned by a spouse who does not have a Permanente, as explained by Spencer.

Again, sorry I don't remember what he posted.

On 10/3/2018 at 7:10 AM, bobnliz said:

Can a residente permanente drive a US plated car with a letter of permission from the owner also? 

The only foreign plated vehicle that a Permanente can drive is one that belongs to a spouse who is Temporal (or Tourist Card) AND that Temporal spouse has obtained a valid car permit (TIP) in his/her name. In this case the Permanente can drive THAT vehicle, even alone, with impunity. It's the law.

Archived