Chapala.com Webboard

TAR Airlines

RickS

In the early '60s our family took an evening flight from CDMX to Acapulco and the props were spitting flame in the dark of night and the stewardess took my five year old brother up to the cockpit where the captain put him in his seat and let him fly the plane.  I think it was Mexicana... 

Funny you should mention TAR today. 

We flew them GDL-PVR in January....easy website to navigate and book.  Flight was fine, too.

Today I tried to book a TAR flight for GDL-OAX.  All went well until the payment page.  I entered my cc info (happens to be the same US cc I used when I booked TAR in January)  Pop-up message says (in Spanish of course) that the 'issuing bank has rejected the charge.'  I called Chase Bank and they said they did not reject it and have no record of an attempted charge.  Hmmmm....I go back to TAR website, re-enter info, get the same message.  I try it with another US cc....get the same message.  This time I called Citi Bank, and they said the charge was not rejected by them, it never went to them. 

I had my partner look over my shoulder and re-entered both of the cards again...got the same  pop-up rejection messages.  Grrrrr.

Called TAR's phone number (it says, press 1 for English, which made me smile).  Agent says after I tried it 6 times and was rejected, they blocked it and I can't try again for 6 hours.  I ask if they still take US cc's and she says they do but sometimes they don't go thru.  

I'll try again and report back.  

WE use the TAR GDL-PV flights a couple times a year and lie them because they are quick, efficiently run, clean, well-timed and newer.  It runs usually somewhere around $125 US roundtrip.

There is a separate and much smaller terminal on the right as you drive toward the main terminal that I have flown out of on one of these smaller not well known airlines. This was several years ago.

If I remember correctly the international waiting room expanded to this old terminal 2 building now but it is all part of the same terminal now.

On the other news, new direct destinations from gdl to Albuquerque and Charlotte, NC are being added in November by Volaris and also Charlotte by American Airlines from January (seasonal)

3 hours ago, johanson said:

I had never heard of them until I read about it here. But that may be, because these days I limit my flights to international flights when flying north a few times per year for short visits.

yes, i randomly discovered them by going to Kyak and they came up.  I expected to go with Voloris but TAR was cheaper, and straight non stop flight.....

11 hours ago, RickS said:

Has anyone flown TAR airlines within Mexico?  Any feedback as to that/those experience(s)?

What's happening Rick(its Jim from the Springs), I took one of their little jets to PV earlier this year. No complaints at all and would fly with them again.

Follow-up to my online booking problems yesterday.  

They persist today.  Both of my US banks say they did not decline any transactions on either card.  TAR representative insists they did...after 2 hours debate, I asked if TAR would call either bank (both have free Int'l collect call non-800 numbers).  TAR will not.  They told me to go see a travel agent.  

I no longer recommend TAR as I find the true quality of any business is their interest in resolving a problem.  In numerous phone calls and messaging the past 2 days TAR has shown no interest in solving my problem.  

I have used TAR in the past and it was efficient and as good as any other airline. The price was always the best.

Bisbee Gal: I have had the same problem with ETN buses. They say that my cc has been denied but my bank says it has not denied it. I have never been able to use my cc on line for ETN but they accept it without a problem at the bus terminal. I use ETN for trips where airports are inconvenient to my destination. It is a problem on the Mexican side of the payment system. I haven't stopped using ETN when I have to but I just buy the ticket at the counter when I am leaving Guadalajara's new bus station. I think that you might be able to buy the TAR ticket with your cc at a Travel Agent without much of a markup. If there is a markup the TAR price may still save you money that you would have to spend on another airline. Most Mexican businesses I have dealt with charge an extra 3 to 5% or more to use your credit card anyway.  🤕

I booked on Tar last year and found the flight and service fine.  I booked with a travel agent and the airline would not accept my Canadian credit card even though a Visa card is accepted worldwide.  I ended up having to run to the bank and get cash to pay for the tickets.  An unnecessary inconvenience but they do have very good prices.

Although I almost never use my Actinver Bank Debit card, I have one. If you transfer funds down here and have a bank account, maybe you might consider getting a Mexican credit or debit card. Of course, a debit card is easier to get.

Archived