Chapala.com Webboard

Men's electric shavers

Al Berca

There's a Braun at CostCo listed at about $1700p. If you use the Lakeside Delivery Service, the kids will actually contact you from the store and send you photos, so you can choose. Although knowing CostCo, they may only have one type of razor. https://www.lakeside-ss.com/tienda-online/Braun-Electric-Razor-*-p67242469

I found the same with Norelco/Phillips electric shavers: The version in Mexico looks the same, but is definitely inferior and the heads are not interchangeable. The Mexican version did not give a close shave.

25 years ago, I bought the latest, hi-tech, multi-head, most-recommended, digital display razor I could find. The instruction book said "Give it six weeks". Phooey. Shaving over and over and over again, getting dry, red skin from trying to get a smooth shave. After six weeks, I sold it to a retired guy who didn't care how smooth it was.

3 hours ago, barcelonaman said:

So which brand electric shaver is recommended ?

BRAUN . Series 9, 7, 3. I will probably purchasing the series 7 since it MUST be unplugged however it is rated as a better shaver.

The reason is that some shavers are wet/dry and for safety reasons cannot be plugged in while using ,i.e. shower!

a list of shavers that can be used while plugged into

the wall outlet.

Series 3

3090cc

3070cc

3050cc

3000BT

300s

Series 5

5030s

Series 7

None available

Series 9

None available

As you can see, a vast majority of the shavers that allow for corded shaving are in the

Series 3 Models. Take a look at the ones I have listed by visiting braun.com, selecting the

razors you're interested in, and clicking on the compare button.

I bought one at Coppel recently.  There were a dozen or so different models available. 

On 10/3/2018 at 8:06 AM, barcelonaman said:

So which brand electric shaver is recommended ?

A foil shaver works in an oscillating manner (like that of a desk fan going back and forth).

A rotary head shaver works like a weed-whacker spinning around incredibly quick (in the neighborhood of 15,000 RPM!)

Also different from the foil head is that with a rotary shaver you go in a circular manner when shaving.

image.png.a5421a0b4367d8c11aa893b9be2e0ca0.png

Philips Norelco (1150X/46) Shaver 6100

Braun Series 7- 790cc

Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor

Going to the Seattle Costco tomorrow to pick up a new electric shaver perhaps a Braun Series 7-7893 because it is on sale. Why up here? Because several have posted on this forum that it is hard to find a good electric shaver lakeside. Besides the Seattle Costco store is only 4 miles away, not the 65 Km I would have to drive each way to the closest Costco when I get back to Ajijic 

More from the School of Shaving!

I was unfamiliar with shaving oil for electric razors, too.

A good article appeared:

Pre-Shave Oils and Electric Shaving

An oil can’t soften the hair by itself because the hair is covered in a very tough outer shell called the cuticle and it can only be weaken by alkaline components found in a quality shaving cream.  A pre-shave oil works by penetrating and holding the water into your skin, making it supple, plump and well-moisturized. This greatly reduces the risks of irritation when shaving.

The mention of "good quality shave creams" led to another article below, with recommendations for good shaving creams:

What's the Best Shaving Cream? The Ultimate Guide

Yeah, many brands make the  claim their pre-shaving oil make the beard hairs softer, but I always had my doubts.  What they do do is prevent chaffing and irritation of the face.  I hate shaving with an electric razor on a dry face.  It's not confortable at all.  I have Portuguese heritage so I have the thick heavy beard hairs.  Ouch!

Archived