Chapala.com Webboard

herbicide (roundup) 41% generic glyphosate

Alpha1

Virtually all crop growers use it, so you are probably doomed.

For home use, application to the specific weed is usually the 'spot-control' method, and it does work very well. Pulling weeds is terribly ineffective, and very hard for old folks. Using a herbicide carefully gives the advantage of killing the roots and preventing the weed from going to seed. 

It is available, generically, in a 2-gallon concentrate for about $50 USD. Diluted, it will make enough for most of our lifetimes.

By the way. It is applied to Lake Chapala to kill the lirio.

Pulling weeds is not "ineffective". I pull my weeds out by the roots in the rainy season when the ground is wet and soft and the roots come out easily. Result after 10 years- almost no weeds at all. I'm 69 and just sit with my coffee in the morning and weed a small area at a time. 

Roundup is not some benign thing. Weeds are preferable to cancer IMO.

https://www.businessinsider.com/jury-awards-289-million-in-monsanto-round-up-weed-killer-case-2018-8

1 hour ago, Willie said:

So Cedros, you are willing to poison the world around us just so it is an "easier" way to deal with weeds?!?

The little bit I spray on my steps is unlikely to poison the world. Pulling weeds is very inefficient as you often don't get the roots so the plant returns.

Roundup might be relatively benign.

In my large fraccionamiento all the streets are cobblestone. In the rainy season some streets become quite green. A few years ago they hired a man to pull the weeds from the cobblestones by hand but he could not keep up. Maybe on one short section of one of the many streets he could keep up. So now they use Roundup.

5 hours ago, cedros said:

The little bit I spray on my steps is unlikely to poison the world. Pulling weeds is very inefficient as you often don't get the roots so the plant returns.

Roundup might be relatively benign.

In my large fraccionamiento all the streets are cobblestone. In the rainy season some streets become quite green. A few years ago they hired a man to pull the weeds from the cobblestones by hand but he could not keep up. Maybe on one short section of one of the many streets he could keep up. So now they use Roundup.

The little bit you spray on your steps- plus the little bit your neighbor sprays on his steps, plus the "little bit" all Roundup users use adds up to a lot. How about ingesting "a little bit" of cyanide? Is that okay?

What does "may be relatively benign" mean? Relative to what? The stuff is carcinogenic. Majorly. Monsanto's done a really good job of disinformation, which people seem to want to believe.

As I said, pulling weeds is not ineffective- maybe you don't often get the roots- I do.  

"The stuff is carcinogenic". Is crying wolf. It is not an established fact. There is a lot of research that says the opposite. Mudgirl if you have a large property pulling weeds is ineffective. If you have a postage stamp sized property pulling weeds can be effective only at certain times of the year but not with all weeds. I've pulled weeds for many years (I suspect I've pulled many more weeds that you as I've always had large properties) and have also used roundup for many years. The difference in effectiveness is huge. 

Cynanide has some medicinal uses.

I can tell what absolutely works, completely environmentally benign - but I would need another lifetime to commercialize, manufacture and market. This is 'live' steam, dry steam. This is water steam heater to around 275 f, contains very little water. Some sort of lance device, then triggering the steam injection around the roots, kills the weed

instantly. The root is actually 'cooked'. You can smell it. Also very effective on moss, algae, insects (especially ants, scorpions and the like). The problem is a technical one - I have used both long extension cord and small generators, neither are ideal. Possibly propane tank heater with a manifold which creates the dry steam. Better than a 'tiger torch' which burns the weed (with a high wildfire risk) but not the roots. If anyone would like to invest time in this, come around and I will show how a residential steamer works. My commercial one is kaput - worn out.

My last house in Canada was above railway tracks. They had a special train car that sprayed steam onto the train line to kill the weeds and it was very effective.

10 hours ago, cedros said:

"The stuff is carcinogenic". Is crying wolf. It is not an established fact. There is a lot of research that says the opposite. Mudgirl if you have a large property pulling weeds is ineffective. If you have a postage stamp sized property pulling weeds can be effective only at certain times of the year but not with all weeds. I've pulled weeds for many years (I suspect I've pulled many more weeds that you as I've always had large properties) and have also used roundup for many years. The difference in effectiveness is huge. 

Cynanide has some medicinal uses.

You think a 289 million dollar judgement against Monsanto is easy to get based on "crying wolf?"

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

You think a 289 million dollar judgement against Monsanto is easy to get based on "crying wolf?"

Yes. I imagine it will be overturned. You don't have to use it.

"It isn't poison except to unwanted plants. It's so smart it knows which plants are unwanted. I know it's true cause Monsanto said so."

"It's relatively benign"

"Don't use it if you don't want to. The Roundup I spray in my yard knows not to cross my property line"

head in sand.jpg

Silly. You have a lot to learn.

The OP didn't ask for personal views or lectures on using Roundup-just where to buy it. If he he wanted opinions on using it I suspect he would go to more knowledgeable sources.

Archived