Chapala.com Webboard

Gmail - need help to switch to Classic

ibarra

5 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Gmail has updated to the new design, again!  I used to be able to click on SETTINGS, then choose  Go Back To Classic Gmail.  That option is not available anymore.  Any suggestions as to how to restore Classic Gmail?

You don't think they did this on purpose?  Of course they did.  Grrrr!

Can't tell you HOW I did it but I check my mail daily and today when the new one showed for first time up I did manage to switch back to Classisc  I hovered on various places and THANKFULLY the option showed up.

Why do these and others think they have to constantly "improve" stuff?  If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

That option was made available for about two weeks, depending on the last time you checked your mail. Then it was silently removed.

Do you know how to restore the classic Gmail?  I've had this happen a few times over the last few months, but each time I was able to revert back to classic.  Unfortunately, this is the first time it won't let me do that.

There is no way to restore the classic Gmail. The option is made available for about two weeks, depending on the last time you checked your mail. Then it was silently removed. Anybody who managed to get it done, will see it switch to the new version soon anyway.

Google would not go to the trouble and expense of changing the very basis of the mail, to end up with two versions to support.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

That option was made available for about two weeks, depending on the last time you checked your mail. Then it was silently removed.

I check mail 4 times a day, the option was not made available to me, perhaps it was to others. I have signed an online petition and, in Settings, using Feedback, told them  I would like Classic Gmail restored. Probably a waste of time.

Thanks for the instructions!  I was annoyed with the new Gmail, which included all manner of stuff I don't need or want.  The most annoying was the little blue suggestions at the bottom of the emails i receive on what to reply.  Some bot reads each incoming email and then comes up with an appropriate two or three word reply?  Geesh.  I looked in the options, but there was no way offered to get rid of them.

2 hours ago, ibarra said:

Thank you earlyretirement for the link.  I decided to switch back to the HTML version as I like the fast connection.

I have switched to HTML about 5 times this morning. Much better. But when I return to G Mail later it has reverted to the new G Mail.

Another vote for Classic Gmail, and against the "new look".   Most annoying in both look and function IMHO and I've also sent that feedback to them.

Thanks for the post on changing to HTML version.

2 hours ago, cedros said:

I have switched to HTML about 5 times this morning. Much better. But when I return to G Mail later it has reverted to the new G Mail.

You need to change your bookmark title to something else. Same thing happened to me, so I changed to "Gmail" as a bookmark for the HTML version.

55 minutes ago, gringal said:

You need to change your bookmark title to something else. Same thing happened to me, so I changed to "Gmail" as a bookmark for the HTML version.

Thanks. I will try that.

2 hours ago, gringal said:

That doesn't work for me either.

Correction. I usually access G Mail from an icon on my Desktop. I changed the name on that icon but it didn't help. But I added the old style G Mail to my favourites. So  if I access G Mail through my favourites it works. But it was so much easier to access G Mail through a desk top icon.

6 hours ago, Ferret said:

You can click, hold and drag ANY bookmark to your desktop then release it there and label it whatever you want.

Thanks. That works.

21 hours ago, gringal said:

I tried that, and it worked.  Unfortunately, in the HTML version, you can't add new contacts!  Guess I'm stuck with getting used to the look and feel of the new version!   ☹️

1 hour ago, suegarn said:

I tried that, and it worked.  Unfortunately, in the HTML version, you can't add new contacts!  Guess I'm stuck with getting used to the look and feel of the new version!   ☹️

And when you want to compose a message it doesn't bring up their address when you start typing. But it does how all mail.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:54 AM, suegarn said:

Another problem with the HTML version. When I send someone a message they complain that there is a bunch of gibberish at the end of it.

Archived