Chapala.com Webboard

US Medicare Health Ins. card change

johanson

For those of us older US citizens who have that Red White & Blue Medicare Health Insurance cards, there has been a major change. The new card no longer has the Red White & Blue stripe at the top of the card, and the card no longer has your nine digit Social Security # which was called your claim number on it.

The new card has replaced this 9 digit number by a new code which is 11 characters showing both letters and numbers unique to you. And unlike my older card, it is no longer only in English, but is in both English and Spanish.  Part of the card looks like this:

Medicare Number/Numero de Medicare

1A2B 3C4 D5E6 

Entitled to/Con derecho

HOSPITAL (PART A)

MEDICAL (PART B )

Maybe this is old news to you, but I was shocked :) 

UPDATE: I just phoned our  92 year old,  retired, family Doctor up here in Seattle and he too  just received the new card in today's mail. So I am guessing this is or will be impacting most everyone on Medicare.

I keep getting chatty emails (see below) from Medicare telling me my new card is on its way and how great it is. Since it gets delivered to my US address, I do not have my hands on it yet.

-------------------

Keep an eye on your mailbox — we’re starting to mail new Medicare cards in your state!

Now that card mailings have started in your state, it’ll take at least a month to finish. So you might get your new Medicare card at a different time than friends or neighbors in your area.

One tip: if you have a MyMedicare.gov account, you can sign in and see when your new card has been mailed. Don’t have a MyMedicare.gov account yet? It’s easy to sign up — just visit MyMedicare.gov. It’s a free, secure way for you to access your personal Medicare-related information.

Wondering what’s new? The new cards are still paper, but they look a little different. The biggest change is that your new card will have a new Medicare Number that’s unique to you, instead of a Social Security Number. This will help protect your identity. Though you’ll have a new card, rest assured your Medicare coverage and benefits will stay the same.

Sincerely,

The Medicare Team

9 hours ago, johanson said:

Thanks for the added info Jaybear. I don't know why it is so shocking to me, for it is no big deal, but it was totally unexpected.

7 hours ago, Ferret said:

A heads-up would have been a nice touch. L

• 3 weeks later...

Archived