Chapala.com Webboard

Traffic Rule Question

Dostortas

Jalisco State Traffic law says

178 XVI Fine for motorcyclists who do not respect their lane

184 V Fine for motorcyclists who drive between lanes of other cars

Regulations say

61 d) VII Only pass on the left side of cars

Motos should stay in center of one lane and not lane split as it is dangerous and illegal.  I ride motos and have hit a moto who lane split as they couldnt stop when I made a left turn and they were between line of stopped traffic and parked cars.

18 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

Jalisco State Traffic law says

178 XVI Fine for motorcyclists who do not respect their lane

184 V Fine for motorcyclists who drive between lanes of other cars

Regulations say

61 d) VII Only pass on the left side of cars

Motos should stay in center of one lane and not lane split as it is dangerous and illegal.  I ride motos and have hit a moto who lane split as they couldnt stop when I made a left turn and they were between line of stopped traffic and parked cars.

So who gets in trouble if they hit a motorcycle? Especially when in your  blind spot or on the right of your car?

When I was turning into my carport a moto guy came between stopped cars and parked cars and a van let me make left turn, moto guy with crappy old moto hit bottom corner of my car and fell off with his passenger.  I pulled into my carport, locked it, took driver to Cruz roja paid 150 pesos for X rays then 150 for medicine and gave him 500 for his moto.  I could have gave and done nothing and it was his fault and my security cameras could prove it but I really did not want to wait for hours as I had a meeting in an hour and did all the fixing in less than an hour and guy left happy no broken bones 500 pesos and some pain meds.  

Car should not be at fault but if the moto guy is injured then they can do tox tests and wait for a determination and can impound car meanwhile so drivers need to make a quick judgment call how much their time and hassle is worth even when in the right.  

31 minutes ago, Intercasa said:

When I was turning into my carport a moto guy came between stopped cars and parked cars and a van let me make left turn, moto guy with crappy old moto hit bottom corner of my car and fell off with his passenger.  I pulled into my carport, locked it, took driver to Cruz roja paid 150 pesos for X rays then 150 for medicine and gave him 500 for his moto.  I could have gave and done nothing and it was his fault and my security cameras could prove it but I really did not want to wait for hours as I had a meeting in an hour and did all the fixing in less than an hour and guy left happy no broken bones 500 pesos and some pain meds.  

Car should not be at fault but if the moto guy is injured then they can do tox tests and wait for a determination and can impound car meanwhile so drivers need to make a quick judgment call how much their time and hassle is worth even when in the right.  

wise decisions, thanks will remember this.  Yes girl from GDL told me also in GDL they are suppose to wear helmets also.

1 hour ago, Intercasa said:

Gracias

About 3 years ago a motorcycle ran the light at Colon, speeding, tried to go around my stopped car on the right side, hit the back right bumper of my car at great speed, flew through the air, broke his leg in 5 places.  Even though all witnesses reported the above facts to the authorities I was put on jail and my car impounded.   I had to pay a bribe to get out that night and not spend the weekend in jail.  Believe me you NEVER want to be in the Chapala jail.

7 hours ago, Wookie said:

About 3 years ago a motorcycle ran the light at Colon, speeding, tried to go around my stopped car on the right side, hit the back right bumper of my car at great speed, flew through the air, broke his leg in 5 places.  Even though all witnesses reported the above facts to the authorities I was put on jail and my car impounded.   I had to pay a bribe to get out that night and not spend the weekend in jail.  Believe me you NEVER want to be in the Chapala jail.

That is scary.  I have started slowing down to allow them to pass me to avoid potential accidents, but clearly that won't help if you are already stopped.  Yikes.

23 hours ago, HarryB said:

the"Chapala jail" is not the CHAPALA jail . It is the state transito jail and they keep a cell especially gross for foreigners to encourage mordidas. Where was your insurance adjuster?

Since I am fairly new here and have had only one car accident 3  weeks after buying a new SUV what can your insurance adjuster do after you are put in jail? Does one have right to make any phone calls in jail or upon arrest? Would like to understand the process. As an aside I was hit by an American who was uninsured and is the owner of a very well known local restaurant. 

the adjuster should have been summoned to the scene. You should have legal representation and bond included in your insurance. To see the other side more than a few foreigners deal with negative situations by just getting on a plane. thus the current situation.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:53 AM, HarryB said:

the adjuster should have been summoned to the scene. You should have legal representation and bond included in your insurance. To see the other side more than a few foreigners deal with negative situations by just getting on a plane. thus the current situation.

Thank you for the response. Yes, my policy covers legal and bond...Would the police at the scene wait for an adjuster to show up in an hour or longer?

I think Spencer's scenario and advice is the best possible outcome. The police, if they are doing their job correctly, which is not always the case, want the scene cleared, they want to see injuries treated, and any financial reponsibilities signed - right or wrong, no matter how many hours of he said/she said (whether in court or the side of the road). Just get the other party to sign a waiver - you sign yours. Insurance adjusters and police just complicate matters. Get a liability waiver form (s) from Spencer or his crew. Make sure you have carefully hidden $5,000 pesos somewhere in your vehicle.  This may be the "pirate" way of getting things done in this country, but it works. Some people will smash your vehicle just to get cash

Going West on the Caretera and turning right onto the lateral in La Floresta, with my turn signal on, a motorcycle going quite fast in the bicycle lane (no motorized vehicles allowed) plowed into my right front fender and flew over my hood. He was okay and no damage to my car. Alberto, "the kissing cop" was two cars behind me in his own car (not a Police Truck) and saw the whole thing and pulled over. I was on my way to very important meeting and like Spencer, didn't have hours or overnight in jail to wait, so I gave the guy $500 pesos to get a new mirror (which appeared to be the only damage to his motorcycle) and Alberto told me to go ahead and go to my meeting.

Is Alberto still alive? Last time I saw him at his wife's store in Riberas, he said he was having some pretty serious medical issues.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

I think Spencer's scenario and advice is the best possible outcome. The police, if they are doing their job correctly, which is not always the case, want the scene cleared, they want to see injuries treated, and any financial reponsibilities signed - right or wrong, no matter how many hours of he said/she said (whether in court or the side of the road). Just get the other party to sign a waiver - you sign yours. Insurance adjusters and police just complicate matters. Get a liability waiver form (s) from Spencer or his crew. Make sure you have carefully hidden $5,000 pesos somewhere in your vehicle.  This may be the "pirate" way of getting things done in this country, but it works. Some people will smash your vehicle just to get cash

I wouldn't dream of leaving 5,000 in my car for some thief to find.

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:15 PM, Intercasa said:

I would have done the opposite. Put the meeting off and not pay someone for driving illegally. It only encourages people to break the laws.

6 hours ago, michael2595 said:

Would the police at the scene wait for an adjuster to show up in an hour or longer?

the adjuster should have been summoned to the scene.

Wookie did the right thing, Chillin' has the right answer.

Probably would have made no difference who was right and who was wrong. Yes, the transitos will wait. They have nothing better to do. Everybody has a grand old time. Wouldn't be surprised to see beer bottles and donuts appear during the long wait.

Archived