Chapala.com Webboard

Mike the ComputerGuy

Ferret

I tried to get TM for a full year, going ihto the office about 1x/month. Could not understand why, If they have the demand, they don't build out their infrastructure to meet the demand. Finally gave up, went to Telecable and requested an Arris modem (they usually hand out those crap Hitron modems), and have had a pretty consistent 5 MPS down. Also only charge $100 install fee, whereas Telmex is $1300+, for doimg NOTHING.

Not great, seeing as how I get 200MPS consistently, dual band, for $40/month in the US.  They don't give a shit. 

So, if you want, you can get Telecable, but I prepaid for Ilox, so I am not going to have to put up with this crap for too long.

I also prepaid for iLox. I've already had the "pleasure" of dealing with Cable and it was not good. FYI, got a phone call from the Telmex office in Ajijic today and was told they are hoping to have a new modem for me by the end of the week. Vamos a ver. In the mean time, I'm trying to sign up for Mercado Libre and, with success, will purchase a new modem from them. When I was talking with Mexico City, in the afternoon on Monday, I asked the rep how it was possible to buy these brand spankin' new modems still sealed in plastic on Mercado Libre from private sellers when the photos clearly show "property of Telmex" on the back. He had no answer. And that is Telmex' problem to clear up. All I want is a new modem and I really don't care where it comes from.

TelMex went through several phases here wherein they doubled the Internet speed. Over the last 15 years, the speeds have gone from dialup to (if lucky) 40 mbps, doubling approximately every 2 to 3 years. About three years ago, apart from refusing to expand infrastructure, customer service ground to a complete halt. I don't believe any excuse I've ever been given by technical support or local office staff; the latest baloney being this "there are more demands from this 376 area code than any other in the country". What hogwash. Maybe 40,000 people here; about 4,000,000 in Guadalajara alone. (60% of Mexico's 125,000,000 people are adults, capable of ordering such a service.)

The only reason I can think of for that kind of excuse is that Axtel far outstrips any other provider, and TelMex, by a longshot in Guad. And we can't get it here.

That doesn't explain the complete lack of business regard by TelMex. And from what I've been told, it's only lakeside that gets treated this way.

I signed up for Mercado Libre, ordered my modem, paid at the 711 and it should be delivered by October 8th. If Telmex coughs up a new modem, the one I just bought will be a back up. I sure wasn't going to wait and see what Telmex came up with. As always in Mexico, it pays to have back ups to your back ups.

That's what I should have done. The number that they give you is on file for five days depending on which mode of receiving/getting the modem you choose. I chose to pick one up in Ajijic assuming that it would be new. My bad. Being a one person household that is unavailable for three hours in the afternoon, I made my choice accordingly. Now I know better.

My new modem arrived at iShop/Mail yesterday at 1:17 pm . I got an e-mail from Mercado Libre that it was delivered there this morning. I picked it up an hour later. Unfortunately, the electricity was out until at 4:30 pm. At 4:45 pm, I hooked it up and BADABING, it works. Beautifully! 20 mbps down and 4 mbps up.  I'm VERY happy!

Haven't heard anything more from Telmex… and they are now closed until Monday. pffffft!

Archived