Chapala.com Webboard

They got me again

Jack Slade

Walmart here, what a disgrace. For the second time this year items that I bought and paid for were not placed in my shopping cart. Not only does Walmart cheat on their posted prices, the baggers help themselves to small items. Walmart Supercenters in the US are some of my favorite places to shop. 

A warning to all - watch the baggers like a hawk, they will steal from you.

12 minutes ago, Jack Slade said:

Walmart here, what a disgrace. For the second time this year items that I bought and paid for were not placed in my shopping cart. Not only does Walmart cheat on their posted prices, the baggers help themselves to small items. Walmart Supercenters in the US are some of my favorite places to shop. 

A warning to all - watch the baggers like a hawk, they will steal from you.

So what items did they steal?

I took photos the other day of items that were on sale, expecting the cashier computer to not be correct.  To my surprise, everything rang up exactly correct!!  If you leave bags on the counter I'm not sure it's completely the bagger's fault. Aren't you responsible to make sure everything gets in the cart before you leave?  I feel that I am responsible for my purchases.

Yes and no. Their job is to ensure you get everything. But it is Mexico. I realized in the parking lot at Soriana that my hot chicken wasn't in the bag (because I wanted to eat!). It was back at the counter, and handed to me as soon as they saw me coming. No WAY they forgot to put it in my bag.

I've been coming lakeside since 1996 and each year I've learned a little more Spanish. And no I do not speak Spanish well. But the better I spoke and now speak Spanish the less often this would happen to me. 

I am suggesting that if you speak Mexican street Spanish, you know, Spanish like the locals speak,  even with an accent, store clerks won't  try to take advantage of you. At least I do not catch them if they still do.

And yes I always try to take plenty of smaller peso bills so that that I can pay very close to the amount charged and not need much change back. I had to stop using the ATMs because almost all they would give me were 500 peso notes. Now I withdraw funds from my Mexican bank account and can request smaller bills.

Not sure the baggers are stealing from people. I've noticed many times the cashier will start scanning items of the next customer before the bagger is finished with the customer in front of them. My guess... the customer that was behind you or in front of you are enjoying your items.

I have never lost an item at Walmart.  One time I left a small bag and the bagger ran after me and gave me the bag.  I always smile at the bagger and put the tip in their hand and say gracias.  Today I was their at 2pm and told the older bagging woman, buenas dias senorita.  She smiled and said it is buenas tardes senor,  I said, indeed it is, buenas tardes senorita and we both laughed.  Although some one might steal I don't believe it is prevalent because the bagging people need these tips to live on and they cannot afford to get fired.

Fascinating. Always take home the same groceries bagged that I put in the cart. Always get the correct change. Always chat with the staff. Always tip the baggers.

If the cashier is going too fast and starts the next person, I will put my arm behind my stuff and tell the cashier to slow down. I also prefer the older ladies to bag because, unlike the young men, they never put a bottle of coke on top of the bread, etc. YMMV. ;) 

Archived