Chapala.com Webboard

Using Mexican cellphone in the US

gwynne

I know this has been beaten to death....but I STILL don't completely understand it.  Hubby has the basic basic cell plan using a plain ol' flip phone.  He's going to the US for a week.  

I know that once there, he can call within the US to either landlines or call phones just using the 001 and the 10 digit number.  Right?

If he wants to call me here in Mexico, can he call direct to my telcell phone?  Can he call our landline using 011 52 1?

Someone said you have to use "+" before the prefix.  What's that about? 

H..E...L...P 

First when up north, if I want to call a local number on my Telcel phone, I just enter the area code followed by the 7 numbers. Now calling Mx on my Telcel phone has always given my problems especially when calling another cell phone. It is real easy, but I don't remember how.

What I do is bring my Ooma  internet phone with me (It's like a Vonage phone) that has a local US area code. I use it in Mexico so that friends up north can call a Seattle number on my Ooma internet phone.

Sorry I did not answer your question. I just said that you do not phone 001 before dialing the US 10 digit number while up north. You just dial the US 10 digit number, maybe with a 1 before it.

I, while sitting in Seattle, just dialed two different Seattle phone numbers after only dialing the ten digit Seattle number and they all went through. Actually the phone rang at the other end but I chose not to complete the call by picking up the Seattle phone that was ringing.

(I phoned my internet phone and my condo phone and decided not to answer the calls I made to myself to save money, while sitting here in my Seattle condo.)

18 hours ago, gwynne said:

I know this has been beaten to death....but I STILL don't completely understand it.  Hubby has the basic basic cell plan using a plain ol' flip phone.  He's going to the US for a week.  

I know that once there, he can call within the US to either landlines or call phones just using the 001 and the 10 digit number.  Right?

If he wants to call me here in Mexico, can he call direct to my telcell phone?  Can he call our landline using 011 52 1?

Someone said you have to use "+" before the prefix.  What's that about? 

H..E...L...P 

On our Mexican AT&T cell in the USA we are able to call using 011 + 52 376-766-xxxx.  The plus is necessary.

Our last two trips to the states we basically changed nothing and just dialed local. Our Telcel plans continued to work just fine. We connected with T-Mobile for our roaming, which was automatic - did not need to change anything in our phones. Minutes and data all worked as intended, although the rates might have been a bit different. We usually ended up recharging at least once while there, but that was handled easily using the MiTelcel app.

This is with iPhones, so the phones might have automatically added or removed the country codes, etc. Might work differently with a flip phone, not sure.

Gwynne, yes, you are quite confused, everything you asked is wrong. The easiest way to think about it is that when you bring your cellphone to the US, it then essentially becomes a US phone as far as outgoing calls.  However, if someone in the US wants to call your husband while he is there, it will be a long distance call for them and they have to dial his number as if he were in Mexico. I.e. 011 (or +) 52 1  then the 10 digit #.

When using a Mexican cell phone in US or Canada the cell phone acts as if it is a US or Canadian phone (outgoing). So when in the US, dialing a US #,  just dial as if you were using a US phone- no prefixes, no +, no country codes. Just the area code and number.

To call cell phone in Mexico from Mexican phone in US-   011 52 1  then the number.    The 1 after the 52 indicates that it is a Mexican cell phone you are calling.

To call landline in Mexico from Mexican phone in US-  011 52 then the number. (no 1 after the 52)

As for the + sign- it just takes the place of 011 if in the States or Canada, or 001 if in Mexico. In other words, it's a shortcut for the international long distance prefix.

Archived